Before having a manuscript typed for submission, please examine a recent issue of Survey Methodology (vol. 32, no. 2 and onward) as a guide and note particularly the points below. Articles must be submitted in machine-readable form, preferably in Word. A pdf or paper copy may be required for formulas and figures
Figures and tables
- Documents should be typed entirely double spaced with margins of at least 1½ inches on all sides.
- The documents should be divided into numbered sections with suitable verbal titles.
- The name (fully spelled out) and address of each author should be given as a footnote on the first page of the manuscript.
- Acknowledgements should appear at the end of the text.
- Any appendix should be placed after the acknowledgements but before the list of references.
- The manuscript should begin with an abstract consisting of one paragraph followed by three to six key words. Avoid mathematical expressions in the abstract.
- Avoid footnotes, abbreviations, and acronyms.
- Mathematical symbols will be italicized unless specified otherwise except for functional symbols such as “exp(·)” and “log(·)”, etc.
- Short formulae should be left in the text but everything in the text should fit in single spacing. Long and important equations should be separated from the text and numbered consecutively with arabic numerals on the right if they are to be referred to later.
- Write fractions in the text using a solidus.
- Distinguish between ambiguous characters, (e.g., w, ω; o, O, 0; l, 1).
- Italics are used for emphasis.
- All figures and tables should be numbered consecutively with arabic numerals, with titles that are as self explanatory as possible, at the bottom for figures and at the top for tables.
- References in the text should be cited with authors’ names and the date of publication. If part of a reference is cited, indicate after the reference, e.g., Cochran (1977, page 164).
- The list of references at the end of the manuscript should be arranged alphabetically and for the same author chronologically. Distinguish publications of the same author in the same year by attaching a, b, c to the year of publication. Journal titles should not be abbreviated. Follow the same format used in recent issues.
- Documents submitted for the short notes section must have a maximum of 3,000 words.