Motor vehicle fuel sales, 2011
Gross sales of gasoline rose 1.5% from 2010 to 42.1 billion litres in 2011, the third consecutive annual increase.
The increase in gross gasoline sales coincided with a 19.2% increase in average retail gasoline prices, which rose from $1.04 per litre in 2010 to $1.24 per litre in 2011.
Gross sales were up in all provinces and territories except Nova Scotia, New Brunswick and the Northwest Territories. The province with the largest gain in volume was Alberta (+354.7 million litres), followed by Quebec (+185.4 million litres).
Ontario drivers consumed the highest amount, at 16.0 billion litres, or 37.9% of the total, while those in Quebec purchased 8.7 billion litres, or 20.8%. Combined, Ontario and Quebec accounted for 58.7% of Canada's gross gasoline consumption in 2011. Drivers in Alberta accounted for 14.2% of total gasoline sales.
Nationally, gasoline sales peaked during July (3.8 billion litres) and August (3.9 billion litres), the result of increased demand for fuel stemming from the busy summer driving season.
Note to readers
Motor vehicle fuel sales data for 2010 have been revised.
Definitions, data sources and methods: survey number survey number2746.
For more information, or to enquire about the concepts, methods or data quality of this release, contact Statistics Canada's National Contact Centre (toll-free 1-800-263-1136; 613-951-8116; firstname.lastname@example.org) or the Media Hotline (613-951-4636; email@example.com).
- Date modified: