The Daily
|
 In the news  Indicators  Releases by subject
 Special interest  Release schedule  Information

Repair and maintenance services, 2015

Released: 2017-02-17

The repair and maintenance services subsector earned $28.2 billion in operating revenue in 2015, up 1.9% from $27.7 billion in 2014. This activity generated an operating profit margin of 9.1% in 2015, up from 8.6% in 2014.

The repair and maintenance services subsector includes three main industry groups. The first industry group, automotive repair and maintenance services, accounted for 60.5% of the combined operating revenue in 2015. The second two groups, which includes the electronic and precision equipment and commercial and industrial machinery and equipment repair and maintenance services, made up the remaining 39.5%.

Automotive repair and maintenance services

The automotive repair and maintenance services industry group generated $17.1 billion in operating revenue in 2015, up 3.6% from 2014, and had operating expenses of $15.8 billion, up 3.8%. The slower growth in operating revenues resulted in a slight reduction in the profit margin from 7.8% in 2014 to 7.6% in 2015.

At the provincial level, businesses in British Columbia had the greatest increase in their operating revenues, up 6.8% from 2014. The operating revenue of the automotive repair and maintenance services industry group was concentrated predominantly in Ontario (36.3%), Quebec (19.6%), Alberta (17.4%) and British Columbia (13.4%).

The largest expense item for this industry group was cost of goods sold, which represented 40.3% of operating expenses, followed by salaries, wages, commissions, and benefits at 28.3%.

Electronic and precision equipment and commercial and industrial machinery and equipment repair and maintenance services

The electronic and precision equipment and commercial and industrial machinery and equipment repair and maintenance services industry groups combined earned $11.1 billion in operating revenue and had $9.9 billion in operating expenses, which resulted in a profit margin of 11.5% in 2015, up from 9.9% in 2014. The higher profit margin was mainly due to a 2.4% decrease in operating expenses.

At the provincial level, firms operating in Alberta experienced a contraction in their sales, as operating revenues declined by 8.9% from 2014 to 2015. One factor underlying this decline was the impact of the collapse in the world price of petroleum that occurred in the fall of 2014. Although Alberta experienced the greatest decline in operating revenue, it continued to be the province were the majority of operating revenue was generated. Alberta firms accounted for 34.6% of the operating revenue of the two industry groups. Firms in Ontario accounted for 25.7% of operating revenue in these industry groups, followed by Quebec (15.8%) and British Columbia (12.5%).

The cost of goods sold represent 36.2% of operating expenses, followed by salaries, wages, commissions, and benefits at 33.7%.

  Note to readers

Data for 2013 and 2014 have been revised.

Contact information

For more information, or to enquire about the concepts, methods or data quality of this release, contact us (toll-free 1-800-263-1136; 514-283-8300; STATCAN.infostats-infostats.STATCAN@canada.ca) or Media Relations (613-951-4636; STATCAN.mediahotline-ligneinfomedias.STATCAN@canada.ca).

Date modified: