What this search covers
Advanced Search includes all content from www.statcan.gc.ca including the main pages and more results. It also allows you to limit your search by:
- search operators e.g. AND OR NOT
- type of information
- section of the site
Include pages with all these words
Enter words that you would like to appear in your search results.
For example: Canadian population
Canadian AND population both appear in the results; however they are not always together within the results.
Include pages with this exact wording
Enter words that you would like to appear exactly as entered in your search results. This is also known as Phrase searching.
For example: Canadian population
Canadian population appears in the search results, exactly as written.
Include pages with one or more of these words
Enter words for which you want one or more to appear in your search results.
If there are several words to describe what you are looking for try using the "one or more of these" option.
For example: population demographic demography
The search results will have at least one of the words, population OR demographics OR demography.
Exclude pages with these words
Enter words which you would not like to appear in your search results.
For example: health
All the search results will have population, none will have health.
These words must be in the title
Limit your search to words that appear in the title.
For example: gross domestic product
All these results will have gross domestic product in the title.
These words must be name(s) of the author(s)
Enter names when you want to find authors. Order is not important, you can enter one name or more, first or last. You can also look for multiple authors.
For example: Dominique Fleury
Only results that include this name as an author are returned in the search results.
- search terms are not case sensitive
- commas are optional
- do not use initials when searching
These words must be keywords applied to the document
Enter words that you think may be specifically selected to describe an item. Hint: try consulting the StatCan Thesaurus to select your words.
For example: crops
The keyword "crops" has been applied to the publication as a search term which may be used to look for results although it is not necessarily part of the title or description.
Limit to type of information
Use the drop down arrow in order to pick from the options within the type of information category.
For example, if you choose "data tables" only the results which have data tables will appear.
Here are all the categories for type of information and their definitions.
- Key resources: Find entry points to Statistics Canada information such as indexes, subject guides, search tools and landing pages.
- Articles and reports: Find analytical reports, technical papers and news releases.
- Maps and geographic tools: Find maps and resources to understand geographic information.
- Definitions and documentation: Find documents and definitions to understand terminology, classification schemes and The Census.
- Educational resources and training: Find information about Statistics Canada resources and training including products designed for teachers and students.
Limit to price (free or $)
Use the drop down arrow in order to limit results to free ones. Note: you can also tell if there is a cost by the $ at the end of the link in the search results.
Limit to section of the site
Use the drop down arrow to limit your search to one section of the site.
For example: if you choose "analytical studies" it will only bring up results that belong in that section of the website.
Here are all the categories for section of the site and their definitions.
- The Daily: Find information designed for the media.
- Summary Tables: Find simple tables on popular subjects.
- Census: Find information about communities from The Census.
- CANSIM: Create tables or graphs by selecting various dimensions.
- Publications: Find Statistics Canada publications.
- Analytical Studies: Find Statistics Canada analytical studies.
- Definitions, data sources and methods: Find information used to interpret Statistics Canada's published data e.g. survey records.
- Other: Find content in other sections of the site.
Limit to subject
Use the drop down arrow to limit results to one subject from our Statistics Canada Subject Taxonomy.
For example: if you choose "Aboriginal peoples" it will only bring up results that have been classified by the subject.
Many products may refer to "Aboriginal peoples" but these are products mainly about "Aboriginal peoples".
Use the drop down arrows in order to choose the date you wish to find. You can choose year, month and day.
The results include all products for the day June 19, 2008.
Or, search a date range.
The results will include all products from June 19, 2008 to April 21, 2009.