Transcript of the chat session on Aboriginal Peoples, Immigration and Ethnocultural Diversity data, 2011 National Household Survey, which occurred on Friday, May 10, 2013, from 12:30 to 1:30 p.m. EDT

Note: This was a bilingual chat session, which means that the participants were able to submit their questions in English or French. Statistics Canada respects the Official Languages Act and is committed to ensuring that information products of equal quality are available in both English and French. For that reason, all the questions and answers have been translated in the other official language.

Moderator: Hello everyone. The chat session will begin in just 5 minutes. Our experts on Aboriginal Peoples, Immigration and Ethnocultural Diversity data, Annie Turner, Stéphanie Langlois, Tina Chui and Hélène Maheux, will be answering your questions regarding this first release of the 2011 National Household Survey. Stay tuned! 
Friday, May 10, 2013 12:25:58

Moderator: Welcome everyone. It is 12:30 p.m. EDT and the session is now open. This is a bilingual chat session, which means that you can submit your questions in English or French. The experts will try to get to them in a timely manner and they will respond in the official language in which the question was asked.

Lemag: Hello, the NHS data are available by municipality, but can we get data by dissemination area for the largest cities?
Friday, May 10, 2013 12:30:45

Hélène Maheux: Data for dissemination areas are not available in our standard products. You can contact us to make a custom request.
Friday, May 10, 2013 12:36:02

John Kolkman: How bad is the data quality of the NHS? For example, according to the 2011 NHS, the Aboriginal population of the City of Edmonton increased by less than 10% since 2006, compared to over 25% growth in previous censuses. Meanwhile, the Aboriginal populations of smaller cities in the Edmonton Region (Spruce Grove, Fort Saskatchewan and Leduc) more than doubled in just 5 years. This makes no sense.
Friday, May 10, 2013 12:31:22

Moderator: John Kolkman, thank you for your question. Unfortunately, that subject is not relevant to the topic of this chat. We will follow up with you by email in the following business days.
Friday, May 10, 2013 12:31:55

Yvon Allard: Will Aboriginal sub-population reports be generate? For example, a report on the Metis, with only Metis information from the NHS.
Friday, May 10, 2013 12:31:47

Annie Turner: Hello, At this point we have not made plans to release specific reports on each of the Aboriginal groups. Thanks, Annie
Friday, May 10, 2013 12:34:46

Ethel: Hi, I would like to know if additional information will become available on religious affiliations, especially related to age, gender, geographical divisions... Thank you.
Friday, May 10, 2013 12:33:23

Hélène Maheux: Yes, you can find data on religion, age and sex for Canada, the provinces and territories, as well as the census metropolitan areas and census agglomerations in the data table for Catalogue no. 99-010-X2011032. If you are interested in data for another geographic region, you can contact us.
Friday, May 10, 2013 12:46:35

John Kolkman: Data quality of the NHS is not relevant. Why?
Friday, May 10, 2013 12:34:31

Moderator: John Kolkman, André Cyr, Subject matter expert for Aboriginal Statistics has informed us that he is looking into this issue for you. We will follow up with you by email in the following business days.
Friday, May 10, 2013 12:39:08

Mat_Krepicz: Will non-response rates be released at lower levels of geography such as CTs?
Friday, May 10, 2013 12:34:35

Tina Chui: Hi Mat_Krepicz, Sorry, I don't know the answer to that question. We'll find out and follow up with you in the coming days.
Friday, May 10, 2013 12:46:16

Ted Hildebrandt: When will NHS data be available at the CT or DA level? How reliable will the data be when comparing between lower level geographies, given that they may have different response rates?
Friday, May 10, 2013 12:35:36

Moderator: Ted Hildebrandt, thank you for your question. Unfortunately, that subject is outside the experts’ area of expertise. We will follow up with you by email in the following business days.
Friday, May 10, 2013 12:43:25

christine: Hello, I see here that there is a breakdown of newcomers by "language ability". I suppose this is not using the "first official language spoken" (FOLS) variable as in 2006. Is there information on newcomers, by FOLS, and province of residence for the NHS?
Friday, May 10, 2013 12:37:06

Tina Chui: Hello, yes we do have information on newcomers by FOLS and by province of residence. Please see table 6.
Friday, May 10, 2013 12:38:36

Mat_Krepicz: When will the NHS CT and DA information be released?
Friday, May 10, 2013 12:37:40

Tina Chui: Hi Mat_Krepicz, We are still determining the details and release dates of subsequent NHS products, including any products at the CT and DA levels of geography.
Friday, May 10, 2013 12:41:09

Kodjovi: I would like to know the origin of the term members of visible minorities.
Friday, May 10, 2013 12:43:11

Hélène Maheux: The term “members of visible minorities” comes from the Employment Equity Act. According to the Employment Equity Act, members of visible minorities means “persons, other than aboriginal peoples, who are non-Caucasian in race or non-white in colour.” It refers primarily to the following groups: South Asian, Chinese, Black, Filipino, Latin American, Arab, Southeast Asian, West Asian, Korean and Japanese.
Friday, May 10, 2013 12:52:16

NathanBattams: I see that the NHS "collected information on religious affiliation only" regardless of whether they practise their religion... how exactly is "affiliation" defined?
Friday, May 10, 2013 12:43:15

Tina Chui: Hello, Religious affiliation refers to the person's self-identification as having a connection or affiliation with any religious denomination, group, body, sect, cult or other religiously defined community or system of belief. The NHS did not collect information on religious practices. This type of information can be found from Statistics Canada's General Social Survey (GSS). Thank you for your question.
Friday, May 10, 2013 12:52:03

NathanBattams: How much information does StatsCan plan on releasing about non-response rates?
Friday, May 10, 2013 12:43:49

Moderator: NathanBattams, thank you for your question. Unfortunately, that subject is outside the experts’ area of expertise. We will follow up with you by email in the following business days.
Friday, May 10, 2013 12:51:55

Solmaz: Dear Ms. Chui or Ms. Maheux, I'm a MA student at McGill and in my research I'm looking at Canada's immigrant population specifically in the past 3 decades, and specifically at the Iranian immigrant population in this period. It is my hypothesis that the rate of immigration from Iran has significantly raised in the last 5-10 years. How and when can I have access to more detailed data tables and analysis of the 2011 census information. I'm looking for something similar to the tables and analysis that you prepared for the 2006 census, including the first mother tongue and ethnic background per each province and metropolitan area. I am specifically looking at Montreal and Toronto in this project. I would also like to now where I can access the information on why some populations might not identify themselves as belonging to a certain ethnic background on the census forms. Solmaz Shakerifard
Friday, May 10, 2013 12:44:23

Tina Chui: Hello, this data table would provide information on place of birth by period of immigration. According to the 2011 NHS, a total of about 120,700 immigrants were born in Iran. Of these immigrants, about 30,300 (25.1%) came to Canada between 2006 and 2011 as immigrants. Close to 15,000 recent immigrants from Iran lived in Toronto, while another 2,855 lived in Montréal. You can find similar information from the 2006 Census data table. Thank you for your question and good luck with your studies. :)
Friday, May 10, 2013 13:01:25

Yvon Allard: Storm Russell here, MNO - when you send out the more detailed information about data characteristics/considerations and data quality would you kindly include Yvon Allard and myself from the MNO on that email? Thanks
Friday, May 10, 2013 12:45:01

Moderator: Yes, we will follow up with you by email in the following business days.
Friday, May 10, 2013 12:50:31

Yvon Allard: For Aboriginal peoples the use of traditional languages is used as an index for cultural knowledge and involvement. Is the NHS considering asking questions on other cultural activities, such as music playing, dancing, traditional activities such as hunting and fishing, and traditional art such as clothe-making and beadwork?
Friday, May 10, 2013 12:45:06

Stéphanie Langlois: Hello, There are no plans to add these questions to the NHS. However, some information on these topics was collected with the 2006 Aboriginal Peoples Survey. You can look at the 2006 APS profile. In the 2012 Aboriginal Peoples Survey, scheduled to be released in the Fall of 2013, there will be some information available regarding hunting/fishing/trapping, gathering wild plants, arts and crafts, and clothing/footwear. You can look at the questionnaire, under the section "traditional activities". Thank you for your question, Stéphanie
Friday, May 10, 2013 12:54:59

AAB NE: Just curious if the statistic below is the one most referenced in terms of workforce availability? Additionally, there were more than 254,515 Aboriginal youth aged 15 to 24, representing 18.2% of the total Aboriginal population, and 5.9% of all youth in Canada. Non-Aboriginal youth numbered just under 4.1 million, and accounted for 12.9% of the non-Aboriginal population.
Friday, May 10, 2013 12:46:40

Annie Turner: Hi AAB NE, I am not an expert in labour force statistics and so the terminology of "workforce availability" is not familiar to me. But certainly, those aged 15 to 24 would be new entrants into the labour force, which is 15 to 64 years of age. Thanks, Annie
Friday, May 10, 2013 12:53:03

Maureen Hodgan: Is there information linking immigrant populations in Alberta to their preferences in housing types and settlement patterns? Specifically I am looking for data in Calgary and Edmonoton. Also looking for data on any value changes in Alberta (entire population) that may impact community and housing choices. Thank you
Friday, May 10, 2013 12:49:05

Tina Chui: Hi Maureen, While the data on immigration were released on May 8, 2013, the data on housing will only be available on August 14, 2013. After that date, it will be possible to obtain information on the housing preferences of immigrants in Alberta.
Friday, May 10, 2013 12:52:27

Mat_Krepicz: Is there a guide to comparing religious groups between 2001 and 2011? For example, does the 2001 group "Salvation Army" fall into the 2011 group "Other Christian" or "Other Religions"? I couldn't find this in the Religion Reference Guide. Is there a recommended grouping for Protestants?
Friday, May 10, 2013 12:49:05

Tina Chui: Hi Mat_Krepicz, Here is the 2011 reference guide for religion. For 2001, here is the religion classification. Finally, we don't have a recommended grouping for Protestant. According to literature and consultation, there is no consensus on which denominations should be included under Protestant. Other statistical agencies such as those of Australia and the United Kingdom also do not have a separate category for Protestant.
Friday, May 10, 2013 13:02:29

LWhiteye: How is the foster care question answered? Of the respondents those that have foster children identified their child as Aboriginal?
Friday, May 10, 2013 12:49:43

Annie Turner: Hi LWhiteye, Children are identified as foster children in the question referring to their relationship to person 1. The same respondent would then identify that particular child as Aboriginal in the Aboriginal identity question. Annie
Friday, May 10, 2013 12:59:40

LWhiteye: Are you replacing the term 'status' with the term 'First Nations registered Indians'?
Friday, May 10, 2013 12:50:24

Annie Turner: We are not replacing the terminology because the terms are equivalent and used interchangeably. Sometimes different parts of the country prefer to use one term instead of the other. Annie
Friday, May 10, 2013 13:02:49

Maureen Hodgan: Can you tell me where to find data on core characteristics of immigrant populations in Alberta and Canada? Specifically I am looking for speakers of Tagalog, Punjabi and Chinese. Thank you
Friday, May 10, 2013 12:51:14

Tina Chui: Hello, Attached are the links to two data tables with the information that you are looking for: Table 8 and Table 9). Thank you.
Friday, May 10, 2013 13:08:13

christine: The chat function does not seem to be working. I have been refreshing, and only one question has appeared so far.
Friday, May 10, 2013 12:53:30

Moderator: Our experts are doing their best to answer each question. If your question does not seem to appear on the chat session, please feel free to re-submit.
Friday, May 10, 2013 12:54:26

Ted Hildebrandt: Will the NHS Data Table products be released at geographies lower than CMA/CA?
Friday, May 10, 2013 12:54:06

Moderator: Ted Hildebrandt, we are in the process of determining the details and timing of any subsequent data tables to be released.
Friday, May 10, 2013 12:55:25

John Kolkman: Why is a global response rate being used to determine NHS data quality? In future data releases will response rates to each of the questions asked be released as well? This becomes particularly important for assessing data quality for smaller geographies.
Friday, May 10, 2013 12:58:12

Moderator: John Kolkman, thank you for your question. Unfortunately, that subject is outside the experts’ area of expertise. We will follow up with you by email in the following business days.
Friday, May 10, 2013 12:58:09

Carolyn Pigeau: Hi I have the same question as someone else had below regarding data quality at the smaller geography level and the response was someone would follow up via email communication in the next few days. Could I ask that I be included on the email when communication goes out regarding data quality and reporting guidelines at the lower levels of geography? Thanks very much.
Friday, May 10, 2013 12:59:41

Moderator: Carolyn Pigeau, yes, we will follow up with you by email in the following business days.
Friday, May 10, 2013 12:59:09

Mat_Krepicz: Are you considering adding/changing the Visible Minority response categories? For example, it is now not possible to derive the total white population from this question as the response "Not a Visible Minority" includes Aboriginals. Could you have a definitive "White" response on future surveys?
Friday, May 10, 2013 13:00:27

Hélène Maheux: Since "white" is not considered to be part of the visible minority population, analysis of this group was not provided in the May 8 release. However, data on this group are available upon request.
Friday, May 10, 2013 13:11:42

LWhiteye: These family make-ups for Aboriginal children were they similar across the nation? or were there certain areas where more kids lived in foster care or had single parent families than other areas?
Friday, May 10, 2013 13:01:02

Annie Turner: Hi again LWhiteye, There is certainly variation across the country. Manitoba has the highest proportion of Aboriginal children, aged 14 and under, in foster care which represents 5.7% of the total. This is followed by Alberta (4.6%), Yukon (4.2%) and B.C. (3.9%). The highest proportion of children aged 14 and under, living in single-parent families was in Yukon (43.0%), followed by Saskatchewan (42.5%), Nova Scotia (41.2%) and Manitoba (37.1%). I will also direct you to our topic-based tabulations. Specifically, look at the bottom two tables 7 and 8 (99-011-X2011033 and 99-011-X2011032) Thanks, Annie
Friday, May 10, 2013 13:23:09

Yvon Allard: Will there be a report on migration of Aboriginal peoples? Such as the movement of Aboriginal peoples from rural areas to urban areas. Moving from small communities to small and large cities. What is the percentage of Metis people who live in an urban area, both small and large cities?
Friday, May 10, 2013 13:02:02

Stéphanie Langlois: Hello Mr. Allard, The 2011 NHS data on mobility will be released on June 26, 2013. At this point we have not made plans to release specific reports on migration of Aboriginal peoples. In regards to your question about the percentage of Métis people living in small and large cities, you can look at the data tables, NHS profile and Focus on geography for this information for specific cities. I provided below the links for these various products: Data table at the CMA and CA levels, NHS profile and Focus on geography. Thank you for your questions, Stéphanie
Friday, May 10, 2013 13:13:54

Adele Furrie: Disability among Aboriginal persons is very high. Do you have the rate of disability for Aboriginal persons from the NHS?
Friday, May 10, 2013 13:03:32

Stéphanie Langlois: Allo Ms. Furrie, The questions related to disability from the NHS are used only for screening questions for the Canadian Disability Survey. When the data from the Canadian Disability Survey are released, disability information for the Aboriginal population will be available. Thank you for your question, Stéphanie
Friday, May 10, 2013 13:19:52

deanna: I would also like to be included on any follow-up emails regarding data quality of the NHS. Please and thank you.
Friday, May 10, 2013 13:06:05

Moderator: deanna, yes, we will follow up with you by email in the following business days.
Friday, May 10, 2013 13:05:59

_thestatman_: Emmanuel Preville from LoP @moderator please also include me when you send out the more detailed information about data quality by email. Many thanks.
Friday, May 10, 2013 13:08:13

Moderator: _thestatman_, yes, we will follow up with you by email in the following business days.
Friday, May 10, 2013 13:07:40

Mat_Krepicz: Thanks, Tina, but the for my comparing religions question the first link does not lead to anywhere specific and the second one is for 1981-2001. I would like to see a classification table for 2001-2011.
Friday, May 10, 2013 13:09:3

Tina Chui: Hi Mat_Krepicz, We did not produce a concordance table for religion for 2001-2011. Here is a link to the 2011 classification, and a link to the 2001 classification was in my last reply. Friday, May 10, 2013 13:14:47

Adele Furrie: Please include me as well in the e-mail concerning data quality. Thanks.
Friday, May 10, 2013 13:10:17

Moderator: Adele Furrie, yes, we will follow up with you by email in the following business days.
Friday, May 10, 2013 13:09:26

Adele Furrie: How do I go about requesting a tabulation of the Metis by age and gender and province/territory? Is there a cost associated with the request?
Friday, May 10, 2013 13:14:04

Stéphanie Langlois: Hello Ms. Furrie, You can access the data you are looking for here. Thank you for your question, Stéphanie Friday, May 10, 2013 13:23:08

Adil: Hi. I'm a Mechanical Engineering student from Pakistan. From this year, the CIC has starting talking Engineers as skilled labour. Does it increase the higher studies visa chances for Mechanical Engineering students? Friday, May 10, 2013 13:16:52

Moderator: Adil, thank you for your question. Unfortunately, that subject is not relevant to the topic of this chat. Please refer to www.cic.gc.ca. Friday, May 10, 2013 13:16:14

suzuta: Please include me when you send out the more detailed information about data quality by email. Thanks. Friday, May 10, 2013 13:17:13

Moderator: suzuta, yes, we will follow up with you by email in the following business days. Friday, May 10, 2013 13:17:29

PamelaC: What ethnocultural group has experienced the greatest increase since 2006? Friday, May 10, 2013 13:17:38

Tina Chui: Hello, Statistics Canada did not have the opportunity to conduct this type of study for the first data release on May 8, 2013. The NHS has different concepts to measure ethnocultural groups, such as ethnic origin and visible minority. Please visit the NHS website for data tables on ethnocultural information in 2011. For similar information from the 2006 Census: Ethnic origin and visible minorities. Thank you.
Friday, May 10, 2013 13:27:30

Bonnie: Thank you for hosting this session. I would also like to receive the further information about data quality of the NHS. Thank you.
Friday, May 10, 2013 13:18:08

Moderator: Bonnie, yes, we will follow up with you by email in the following business days.
Friday, May 10, 2013 13:18:08

Bonnie: Are there currently, or are there plans to produce, data on non-permanent residents in Canada?
Friday, May 10, 2013 13:19:09

Sacha: @Moderator: please also include me for the information on NHS data quality and all other information about the future availability of data at geographical levels below CSD. Thank you!
Friday, May 10, 2013 13:19:17

Moderator: Sacha, yes, we will email you the information in the next few business days.
Friday, May 10, 2013 13:19:35

Maureen Hodgan: Is there any information on Canadians perception of density? Or comfort level with living in higher density communities/ city? Thank you.
Friday, May 10, 2013 13:20:50

Moderator: Maureen Hodgan, thank you for your question. Unfortunately, that subject is not relevant to the topic of this chat. We will follow up with you by email in the following business days. Friday, May 10, 2013 13:20:48

Solmaz: Please include me when you send out the more detailed information about data quality by email. Thanks.
Friday, May 10, 2013 13:22:12

Moderator: Solmaz, yes, we will follow up with you by email in the following business days.
Friday, May 10, 2013 13:21:27

Ted Hildebrandt: Given that recent immigrant data in the NHS may not be in line with administrative data from the Department of Citizenship and Immigration Canada, is there a way for us to reconcile the differences? I know that this discrepancy appears to be the case in my community for several countries of origin.
Friday, May 10, 2013 13:24:33

Moderator: Ted Hildebrandt, thank you for your question. We will follow up with you by email in the following business days.
Friday, May 10, 2013 13:23:59

Adele Furrie: Stephanie It is my understanding that I can request the disability data from the Census. Can I get the disability rate for Aboriginal people as a special request?
Friday, May 10, 2013 13:25:23

Stéphanie Langlois: Hello Ms. Furrie, The questions on disability were asked in the 2011 NHS, not in the 2011 Census. My understanding is that the data for these disability questions cannot be provided, because they are generally used for screening purposes for the Canadian Disability Survey. However, I will follow up with a colleague who is more knowledgeable on this topic, and we will get back to you in the coming business days. Thank you for your question, Stéphanie
Friday, May 10, 2013 13:30:50

Mat_Krepicz: Will non-response rates and imputation rates for each individual ethnicity be released at some point (I'm not asking for a date) as they were for the pre-NHS simulation exercise you did?
Friday, May 10, 2013 13:25:59

Moderator: Mat_Krepicz, thank you for your question. Unfortunately, that subject is outside the experts’ area of expertise. We will follow up with you by email in the following business days.
Friday, May 10, 2013 13:24:59

Moderator: Thank you for all your questions and comments! It is 1:32 p.m. EDT, which means that the chat session is now over. If the experts didn’t have a chance to respond to your question, they will follow-up by email in the next few days. The full transcript of this chat session will be made available on the website shortly. Have a great day!
Friday, May 10, 2013 13:32:53

Date modified: