Transcript of the chat session on 2016 Census: Families, Households, Marital Status and Language, which occurred on Friday, August 4, 2017 from 12:30 p.m. to 1:30 p.m. EST

Note: This was a bilingual chat session, which means that the participants were able to submit their questions in English or French. Statistics Canada respects the Official Languages Act and is committed to ensuring that information products of equal quality are available in both English and French. For that reason, all the questions and answers have been translated in the other official language.

Moderator at 12:11:54
Welcome everyone! This is a bilingual chat session, which means that you can submit your questions in English or French. Our experts will respond in a timely manner and in the official language in which the question was asked.

Leanne Petrin at 12:31:44
I am looking for assistance with interpreting some of the data for our small CA in Brandon, Manitoba. When does the data become available for smaller communities?

Moderator at 12:34:26
Can you please clarify which topic you are referring to?

PJM at 12:30:21
I didn’t see marriage as a portion of all census families reported this year. Also, unlike previous Census releases, I didn’t see any distinction between marriage and common-law in the data on living arrangements of children. Why the change this year?

Laurent Martel at 12:39:30
Thank you for your question. You will likely be able to find the information you need in the following highlight table: Marital status and opposite- and same-sex status by sex. In addition to the table, you have dropdown menus allowing you to select different options, for example, the presence of children.

clearhouse at 12:35:06
Will there be additional Data tables for this release, for example a young adults table in Beyond 20/20 format?

Stacey Hallman at 12:42:13
Hello @clearhouse,
The data that we have published on young adults are available in our highlight tables.
The highlight tables are not available in Beyond 20/20 format. However, you can download this table as a CSV or TAB file: Family characteristics of young adults in private households.

clearhouse at 12:36:54
Also, it was mentioned that Common-law status differs or may differ by provinces/territories. If so, does this mean we can still compare the statistics from provinces/territories?

Laurent Martel at 12:43:58
Thank you for your question.
The table Marital status and opposite- and same-sex status by sex enables users to compare provinces and territories in terms of couples who are married or living common-law.
The proportion of common-law unions is much higher in Nunavut and Quebec than in the other provinces and territories.

ihwang at 12:36:45
In the past the Census provided a breakdown of the age of children in census families. This was not available for 2016, will it be released later this year?

France-Pascale Ménard at 12:44:13

Hi,
Thank you for your question. The first data table on census family structure here (Data tables, 2016 Census) provides a count of children by age combinations of children. The third data table on family characteristics of children also provides age of children up to age 14. The data is available for 2011 and 2016.
Best regards,
France-Pascale Ménard

ahatz at 12:33:04
Hello, we have received requests on language data mainly on knowledge. Not spoken at home and not mother tongue. Is language data on knowledge available?

Émilie Lavoie at 12:47:47
Hello, ahatz. Thank you for your question.
We do have available data on the knowledge of official languages. For example, it can be found in the second Highlight Table here (Language Highlight Tables, 2016 Census). The data on knowledge of non-official languages will be available on October 25.

Leanne Petrin at 12:42:09
I'm referring to the data released that relates to housing specifically. In Brandon we have access to Manitoba level data, and Winnipeg data but can't access Brandon specific data. Also, I need to speak with someone who can help me understand what it is saying about housing and affordable housing in particular. Really I'm looking to speak with someone directly. who can assist.

Moderator at 12:47:51
Leanne Petrin, thank you for your question. Unfortunately, this question is not relevant to the topic of this chat. Please find the link to our previous release on type of dwelling.

Barbara McMillan at 12:33:05
How can I find out the breakdown by age of the number of residents who live alone in my DM?

France-Pascale Ménard at 12:50:20
Hi Barbara McMillan,
Thank you for your question. The second data table on family characteristics of adults here (Data tables, 2016 Census) provides a breakdown by age of people aged 15 and over, including those living alone (see last category).
Best regards

ROM_Research at 12:33:44
I am specifically interested in the language changes taking place in the Toronto CMA because this affects us directly. There have been many changes in the language composition over time in Toronto CMA due to immigration and migration, with more changes to come as immigration and migration patterns change. Will Statistics Canada be producing an overview of the language changes in this market, as well as the other top CMAs in Canada?

Jean-Pierre Corbeil at 12:54:22
Thank you for your question,
You are right to mention that the language composition of Toronto has changed and is changing. For instance, in 2011, the top languages in the Toronto CMA were Italian, Cantonese, Punjabi, Chinese n.o.s. (simple mention of Chinese) and Tagalog. In 2016, the top languages were Cantonese, Mandarin, Punjabi, Italian and Tagalog. The growth rate of Tagalog was 15.4% while the growth rate for Urdu was 20%. Please refer to this link (Focus on Geography Series, 2016 Census - Toronto) for more information on the Toronto CMA.
Regards

Moderator at 12:57:11
Keep your questions coming!

Genevieve Brouyaux at 12:42:09
Re: bilingualism: is there a breakdown of bilingual individuals by mother tongue? i.e. how many Francophones (by mother tongue) are bilingual, how many Anglophones, how many allophones?

Jean-François Lepage at 12:59:29
Hello Genevieve Brouyaux,
The number of people with knowledge of English and French who have French as their mother tongue (single response only) is 3,309,205 in Canada. There is also 1,786,525 people with English as their mother tongue and 855,870 people with another mother tongue who have knowledge of English and French. Find all the details in this table (Mother Tongue, First Official Language Spoken, Knowledge of Official Languages, Age and Sex). Thanks!

ROM_Research at 12:47:51
We are also interested in projections of languages and immigration into Toronto CMA in the next 5 years. Will this type of data be available at some point in the near future?

Jean-Pierre Corbeil at 13:00:41
Hello,
On January 25, 2017, Statistics Canada released one report on diversity and immigration in Canada and one on language projections for Canada and its regions. Unfortunately, we have not released any projections for specific languages other than English or French. We had to group all languages other than English or French together given their size and the complexity of projecting each language separately. Please have a look at the following link (Population Projections for Canada and its Regions, 2011 to 2036) or this link (Language Projections for Canada, 2011 to 2036) for an indication of the importance of non-official languages in the Toronto CMA over the next 20 years.
Best regards

Calicodema at 12:43:40
Hello, as with PJM, I was hoping to find out marriage/common-law as a portion of all census families. If I'm not mistaken, the highlight table you've referred PJM to counts individuals, not families.

France-Pascale Ménard at 13:00:45
You are right: the highlight table you are looking at counts individuals not couples. The table is at the individual level in order to include the sex of the individual. However, you can divide the counts by 2 in order to obtain the number of couples (which is also the same number as for couple census families).
Another option is to look at the Census profile. The Census profile has only 2016 data. The profile for 2011 is still available, under the 2011 Census program, if you need it.
I hope this helps.

Jess Hannah at 12:52:28
Hi there, I have the same question as Rom-Research but with regards to Vancouver. With regards to language changes in our region and the availability of an overview. Thanks for your time.

Émilie Lavoie at 13:01:36
Thank you, Jess Hannah, for your question.
The Focus on Geography Series is the best way for you to find language information for your region. You can find information on Vancouver here (Focus on Geography Series, 2016 Census - Vancouver).
Best regards.

clearhouse at 13:02:21
Will the current tables that are disseminated also capture future release variables; will these tables expand as such as the Census profiles? Ie. Income released on September 13 have tables that provide income levels of young adults living with their parents.

Laurent Martel at 13:06:04
Thank you for your question. The answer is yes. Many tables in the upcoming releases will include details by household or family type.

ahatz at 13:00:42
Can you please assist me in interpreting this table (English Spoken at Home, French Spoken at Home, Aboriginal Language Spoken at Home, Immigrant Language Spoken at Home, Mother Tongue and Sex)?

Émilie Lavoie at 13:06:32
Hi ahatz,
It will be my pleasure to help you with the interpretation of this table after this chat session. We will contact you via email shortly.

JPROCTOR at 12:50:48
Hi - thanks for including tabs for the 2011 census year in some of the B20/20 tables. Is there any particular reason why some tables have this additional data and others don't?

Jean-François Lepage at 13:10:23
Hello JPROCTOR,
There's a lot of reasons. Sometimes the concept doesn't exist for the previous census data. Sometimes there's not enough room on a table to include this additional data. Most often, it's simply because the information is already available on the website in the section on previous censuses.

LDixon at 13:06:56
Will any of the language tables be released at the DA level?

Jean-François Lepage at 13:15:56
Hello, LDixon,
There is this table (Mother Tongue, Knowledge of Official Languages and Sex), which includes language data at the DA level.

JPROCTOR at 13:12:13
Makes sense - though including does make quick analysis easier so thanks!

Jean-François Lepage at 13:20:14
Thank you for your comment. We appreciate your interest in our data.

PJM at 13:04:35
Thanks for the table reference on marital status and presence of children. To clarify, I wasn’t able to find a table on family characteristics of children that showed the number or portion of children living in married or common-law families. I see reference to children in intact families but I don’t see what portion of intact families are married or common-law families. Thanks for hosting this chat. Much appreciated.

Laurent Martel at 13:20:35
Thanks for the follow-up question.
In this release, more focus was given to family characteristics of children, e.g., those living as part of lone-parent families or stepfamilies.
Data distinguishing between children living with parents who are part of a common-law or married couple can be provided on request. Don't hesitate to contact Statistics Canada to get these data.

Moderator at 13:20:41
Time for one last question, or two! Keep them coming!

z.f at 13:07:57
Hi, In regards to the data quality, could you tell me what the response rate for the 2016 census is, both at the national level and at the provincial level? and what is the rate of sampling and non-sampling error?

France-Pascale Ménard at 13:23:27
Hi, the response rates for Canada and by province and territory are available in the Guide to the Census of Population. Here is the link to the page that has the table of response rates.
At 98.4% for Canada in 2016, the overall collection response rate for 2016 was better than for 2011, thanks in large part to excellent participation by Canadians in the 2016 Census. The responses to the census by Internet also help to increase the quality of responses to all questions.
There is a discussion of sampling error and non-sampling error in the guide in Chapter 10. Non-sampling error cannot be directly measured, and sampling error can only be estimated.
I hope this helps.

Barbara McMillan at 13:22:20
Will the links included in the responses still be live following the end of the session?

Moderator at 13:26:51
The full transcript of this chat session will be made available on our website shortly, but we can gladly send you a copy after the chat session has ended.

LDixon at 13:11:31
Specifically the language table for language at home at the DA level?

Émilie Lavoie at 13:26:56
We don't have data tables at the DA level for home languages at the moment. You can always do a custom data request through the Census Help Desk.

ROM_Research at 13:14:52
From the questions listed here, it looks like we are not the only organization interested in summaries or overviews of language changes within Toronto, Vancouver and the other populous cities. Would Statistics Canada be open to creating in depth overviews of the top 9 markets in Canada once all 2016 census data is released? Our interest is primarily in language, immigration and diversity, but I suspect there would be interest in a full overview for each market. Would you consider doing this?

Jean-Pierre Corbeil at 13:28:30
Hello again,
I think this is a very interesting suggestion! We will certainly consider this request once all 2016 Census data are released. It could take the form of fact sheets on the most reported languages in Canada's large metropolitan areas. In the meantime, I encourage you to have a look at our 2016 profile and 2011 profile for statistics on languages in the CMA of your choice.
Thank you very much for your suggestion!
Best regards

clearhouse at 13:30:25
Thank you for this chat session. Could Emilie and Jean-Francois update their photos please :) It's great to have a face to a name!

Moderator at 13:43:18
You're welcome! We will take your suggestion into consideration.

Moderator at 13:29:41
The chat session is now over. Thank you for your questions and comments! If our experts did not have a chance to respond to your question, we will follow-up with you by email in the next few business days. The full transcript of this chat session will be made available on our website shortly. Have a great day!

Date modified: