1. Canadian Institute for Health Information. National Health Care Expenditure Trends, 1975 to 2012. Ottawa: Canadian Institute for Health Information, 2013.
2. Chaplin R, Earl L. Household spending on health care. Health Reports 2000; 12(1): 57-65.
3. Law MR, Daw JR, Cheng L, et al. Growth in private payments for health care by Canadian households. Health Policy 2013; 110(2-3): 141-6.
4. Locker D, Maggirias J, Quiñonez C. Income, dental insurance coverage and financial barriers to dental care among Canadian adults. Journal of Public Health Dentistry 2011; 71: 327-34.
5. Quiñonez C, Figueiredo R. Sorry doctor, I can’t afford the root canal, I have a job: Canadian dental care policy and the working poor. Canadian Journal of Public Health 2010; 101: 481-5.
6. Millar WJ, Locker D: Dental insurance and use of dental services. Health Reports 1999; 11(1): 55-67.
7. Law MR, Cheng L, Dhalla IA, et al. The effect of cost on adherence to prescription medications in Canada. Canadian Medical Association Journal 2012; 184: 297-302.
8. Tamblyn R, Larise R, Hanley J, et al. Adverse events associated with prescription drug cost-sharing among poor and elderly persons. Journal of the American Medical Association 2001; 285(4): 421-9.
9. Statistics Canada. User Guide for the Survey of Household Spending, 2009 (Catalogue 62F0026M, no. 6) Ottawa: Statistics Canada, 2010.
10. Statistics Canada. Survey of Household Spending (CAPI Instrument). Ottawa: Statistics Canada, 2010. Available at: http://www23.statcan.gc.ca/imdb-bmdi/instrument/3508_Q1_V11-eng.htm
11. Organisation for Economic Cooperation and Development. OECD Project on the Distribution of Household Incomes. Paris: Organisation for Economic Cooperation and Development , 2012.
12. Organisation for Economic Cooperation and Development. OECD Project on Income Distribution and Poverty. What are Equivalency Scales? Available at: www.oecd.org/social/inequality.htm
13. Statistics Canada. CANSIM Table 326-0021 Consumer Price Index (CPI), 2009 Basket. Available at: http://www5.statcan.gc.ca/cansim
14. Statistics Canada. CANSIM Table 109-5012 Household Spending on Prescription Drugs as a Percentage of After-tax Income, Canada and Provinces. Available at: http://www5.statcan.gc.ca/cansim
15. Health Canada. Healthy Canadians 2010 – A Federal Report on Comparable Health Indicators. Ottawa: Health Canada, 2011.
16. Allin S. Does equity in healthcare use vary across Canadian provinces? Healthcare Policy 2008; 3: 83-99.
17. Quiñonez C, Grootendorst P. Equity in dental care among Canadian households. International Journal for Equity in Health 2011; 10: 14
18. Baicker K, Chandra A. The Labor Market Effects of Rising Health Insurance Premiums. NBER Working Paper Series, No. 11160. Cambridge, Massachusetts: National Bureau of Economic Research, 2005. Available at: http://www.nber.org/papers/w11160