Police-reported crime for selected offences, Canada, 2010 and 2011
|Type of offence||2010r||2011||Percent change in rate 2010 to 2011||Percent change in rate 2001 to 2011|
|Total crime (excluding traffic) – "Crime Rate"||2,094,875||6,139||1,984,916||5,756||-6||-24|
|Other violations causing deathNote 1||100||0||78||0||-23||-49|
|Sexual assault - level 3 - aggravated||179||1||140||0||-23||-22|
|Sexual assault - level 2 - weapon or bodily harm||402||1||398||1||-2||12|
|Sexual assault - level 1||21,795||64||21,283||62||-3||-19|
|Sexual violations against childrenNote 2,Note 3||3,684||11||3,822||11||3||Note …: not applicable|
|Assault - level 3 - aggravated||3,481||10||3,486||10||-1||15|
|Assault - level 2 - weapon or bodily harm||51,955||152||50,184||146||-4||5|
|Assault - level 1||175,289||514||172,770||501||-2||-19|
|Assault police officerNote 4||15,913||47||11,943||35||-26||31|
|Firearms - use of, discharge, pointing||2,017||6||1,936||6||-5||-20|
|Forcible confinement or kidnapping||4,301||13||3,774||11||-13||35|
|Threatening or harassing phone calls||21,604||63||20,341||59||-7||-42|
|Other violent Criminal Code violations||3,830||11||4,597||13||19||9|
|Breaking and entering||197,058||577||181,217||526||-9||-42|
|Possess stolen propertyNote 5,Note 6||30,275||89||21,496||62||-30||-28|
|Theft of motor vehicle||92,505||271||82,411||239||-12||-56|
|Theft over $5,000 (non-motor vehicle)||15,649||46||15,153||44||-4||-35|
|Theft under $5,000 (non-motor vehicle)||527,509||1,546||497,452||1,443||-7||-32|
|Other Criminal Code offences|
|Child pornographyNote 9||..||..||..||..||..||..|
|Disturb the peace||119,913||351||117,476||341||-3||17|
|Administration of justice violations||178,135||522||177,159||514||-2||2|
|Criminal Code traffic violations|
|Impaired drivingNote 10||87,231||256||90,277||262||2||-2|
|Other Criminal Code traffic violations||55,615||163||55,938||162||0||29|
|Possession - cannabis||56,853||167||61,406||178||7||16|
|Possession - cocaine||7,325||21||7,392||21||0||23|
|Possession - other drugsNote 11||9,761||29||10,352||30||5||97|
|Trafficking, production or distribution - cannabis||18,363||54||16,548||48||-11||-26|
|Trafficking, production or distribution - cocaine||9,873||29||10,251||30||3||37|
|Trafficking, production or distribution - other drugs||7,047||21||7,215||21||1||41|
|Other federal statute violations|
|Youth Criminal Justice Act||11,957||35||11,619||34||-4||-44|
|Other federal statutes||20,767||61||21,344||62||2||0|
|Total - all violations||2,379,667||6,973||2,277,258||6,604||-5||-21|
.. not available for a specific reference period
1. Includes, for example, criminal negligence causing death.
2. Sexual offences against children is a relatively new crime category with only partial data available prior to 2010 therefore the percent change from 2001 to 2011 is not shown.
3. Includes sexual interference, invitation to sexual touching, sexual exploitation, and luring a child via a computer. Excludes incidents of child pornography due to limited information on victim characteristics.
4. In 2010, a system anomaly resulted in some non-peace officer assaults being coded as peace officer assaults in 2010. Comparisons between 2010 and other years should be made with caution.
5. Includes trafficking and the intent to traffic stolen goods.
6. In 2011, the UCR survey was modified to create separate categories for possession of stolen property less than or equal to $5,000, and possession of stolen property over $5,000. As a result, incidents of possession under $5,000 may now be reported as secondary offences when occurring in conjunction with more serious offences, leading to a decrease in the number of possession of stolen property incidents reported in 2011.
7. Includes identity theft and identity fraud.
8. Includes altering, removing or destroying a vehicle identification number (VIN).
9. Due to incorrect reporting by a police service of incidents of child pornography from 2008 to 2011, the data originally contained in this report have been suppressed and revised data were made available on July 25, 2013 with the release of 2012 crime statistics.
10. Includes alcohol and/or drug impaired operation of a vehicle, alcohol and/or drug impaired operation of a vehicle causing death or bodily harm, failure or refusal to comply with testing for the presence of alcohol or drugs and failure or refusal to provide a breath or blood sample.
11. Includes precursors and equipment.
Note: Counts are based upon the most serious violation in the incident. One incident may involve multiple violations. Data for specific types of crime are available (in most cases) beginning in 1977. Rates are calculated on the basis of 100,000 population. Percent change based on unrounded rates. Populations based upon July 1st estimates from Statistics Canada, Demography Division.
Source: Statistics Canada, Canadian Centre for Justice Statistics, Uniform Crime Reporting Survey.
- Date modified: