Average counts of adults in correctional services, by type of supervision, Canada, 2010/2011
|Type of correctional service||2010/2011||Percent change in rate 2009/2010 to 2010/2011||Percent change in rate 2000/2001 to 2010/2011|
|Provincial and territorial custodyNote 2||24,461||15.0||89.9||-0.1||12.5|
|Sentenced custodyNote 2,Note 3||10,916||6.7||40.1||7.1||-13.7|
|RemandNote 2,Note 4||13,086||8.0||48.1||-6.2||52.5|
|OtherNote 2,Note 5||458||0.3||1.7||31.9||-10.0|
|Total custodyNote 2||38,219||23.4||140.5||0.9||5.1|
|ProbationNote 6,Note 7||103,955||63.7||393.2||-0.9||-10.0|
|Conditional sentencesNote 6,Note 7||13,211||8.1||50.0||-4.2||12.0|
|Provincial paroleNote 8||659||0.4||3.9||-8.1||-53.7|
|Total community supervisionNote 6, Note 7, Note 9||125,010||76.6||472.9||-1.5||-9.7|
|Total correctional servicesNote 7, Note 9, Note 10||163,229||100.0||615.9||-0.9||-6.8|
1. Rates are calculated per 100,000 adult population (18 years and over) using revised July 1st population estimates from Statistics Canada, Demography Division. Rates may not match those previously published in other reports.
2. The percent change from 2000/2001 to 2010/2011 excludes Nunavut.
3. Includes adults held in sentenced custody only, and inmates held in sentenced custody and other temporary detention (dual status).
4. Includes adults held in remand only, and inmates held in remand and sentenced custody (dual status).
5. Includes adults held in other temporary detention only, and inmates held in other temporary detention and remand (dual status).
6. Data for 2010/2011 excludes community supervision counts in Nova Scotia.
7. The percent change in rates from 2009/2010 to 2010/2011 exclude Newfoundland and Labrador and Nova Scotia. The percent change in rates from 2000/2001 to 2010/2011 exclude Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, the Northwest Territories and Nunavut.
8. The 2010/2011 figures as well as the percent change in rates reflect data from Quebec and Ontario, the only provinces that currently operate provincial parole boards. The number of adults on provincial parole also includes those supervised by the provinces or territories under Exchange of Service Agreements with Correctional Service of Canada.
9. Excludes federal offenders under long-term supervision and on temporary absences.
10. The total number of adults in correctional services in 2010/2011 excludes adults under community supervision in Nova Scotia. The rate excludes both custody and community supervision counts in Nova Scotia.
Note: Counts are based on the average number of adults in correctional services on any given day. Figures may not add up due to rounding.
Source: Statistics Canada, Canadian Centre for Justice Statistics, Corrections Key Indicator Report for Adults.
- Date modified: