Average counts of adults in correctional services, by jurisdiction, 2010/2011
|Jurisdiction||CustodyNote 1||Community supervisionNote 2||Total correctional services||Percent change
in total rate 2009/2010 to 2010/2011
|Percent change in total rate 2000/2001 to 2010/2011|
|number||rateNote 3||number||rateNote 3||number||rateNote 3|
|Province or territory|
|Newfoundland and LabradorNote 4||314||75.3||1,906||456.3||2,220||531.6||Note ..: not available for a specific reference period||-20.6|
|Prince Edward Island||114||99.9||828||725.4||942||825.3||12.6||11.0|
|Nova Scotia||426||55.3||Note ..: not available for a specific reference period||Note ..: not available for a specific reference period||426||Note ..: not available for a specific reference period||Note ..: not available for a specific reference period||Note ..: not available for a specific reference period|
|New Brunswick||452||74.0||2,346||383.8||2,798||457.8||-3.5||Note ..: not available for a specific reference period|
|Northwest TerritoriesNote 5||301||930.6||542||1,676.5||842||2,607.1||15.4||Note ..: not available for a specific reference period|
|NunavutNote 5||122||595.7||1,000||4,894.6||1,121||5,490.3||-4.6||Note ..: not available for a specific reference period|
.. not available for a specific reference period
1. Custody figures include sentenced custody, remand and other temporary detention (or a combination thereof).
2. Figures at the provincial level refer to the average count of adults on probation, conditional sentences and provincial parole (as applicable). Figures at the federal level refer to the average count of adults on parole and statutory release.
3. Rates are calculated per 100,000 adult population (18 years and over) using revised July 1st population estimates from Statistics Canada, Demography Division. Rates may not match those previously published in other reports.
4. The average count of adults under community supervision were not available from Newfoundland and Labrador in 2009/2010. As such, the percent change in the rate of adults under correctional services from 2009/2010 to 2010/2011 cannot be calculated.
5. The average number of adults under correctional supervision in the Northwest Territories and Nunavut was not available in 2000/2001. As such, the percent change from 2000/2001 to 2010/2011 cannot be calculated.
6. The total number of adults in correctional services in 2010/2011 excludes adults under community supervision in Nova Scotia. The rate excludes both custody and community supervision counts in Nova Scotia. The percent change from 2009/2010 to 2010/2011 excludes Newfoundland and Labrador and Nova Scotia. The percent change from 2000/2001 to 2010/2011 excludes Newfoundland and Labrador, Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, the Northwest Territories and Nunavut.
7. Community supervision counts reflect the average number of adult federal offenders on day parole, full parole and statutory release. Excludes offenders under long-term supervision and on temporary absences.
Note: Counts are based on the average number of adults in correctional services on any given day. Figures may not add up due to rounding.
Source: Statistics Canada, Canadian Centre for Justice Statistics, Corrections Key Indicator Report for Adults.
- Date modified: