Average counts of youth in correctional services, Canada, 2010/2011
|Type of correctional service||2010/2011||Percent change in rate 2009/2010 to 2010/2011Note 2||Percent change in rate 2005/2006 to 2010/2011Note 3|
|Provincial director remand||16||0||0||-6||4|
|Community supervisionNote 4, Note 5|
|Intensive support and supervision program||425||3||2||0||70|
|Deferred custody and supervision order||422||3||2||-4||-6|
|Community portion of a custody and supervision order||328||2||2||-17||-20|
|Total correctional servicesNote 4, Note 6||14,820||100||79||-6||-12|
1. Rates are calculated per 10,000 youth population (12 to 17 years) using revised July 1st population estimates from Statistics Canada, Demography Division. Rates may not match those previously published in other reports.
2. Percent change in rate from 2009/2010 to 2010/2011 for community supervision and total correctional services excludes data from Nova Scotia and Quebec.
3. Percent change in rate from 2005/2006 to 2010/2011 excludes data from Prince Edward Island, Nova Scotia, Quebec, and Northwest Territories.
4. Excludes data from Quebec.
5. Excludes data from Nova Scotia.
6. Given the unavailability of data on community supervison from Nova Scotia in 2010/2011, the total number of youth under correctional services may be under-estimated. The rate excludes both custody and community supervision counts in Nova Scotia.
Note: Counts are based upon the average number of youth in correctional services on any given day.
Source: Statistics Canada, Canadian Centre for Justice Statistics, Corrections Key Indicator Report for Young Offenders.
- Date modified: