Internet use by individuals, by selected characteristics
|% of individuals2|
|All Internet users||67.9||73.2||80.3|
|Single family households with unmarried children under age 18||80.9||86.4||91.1|
|Single family households without unmarried children under age 18||62.5||67.5||76.4|
|34 years and under||88.9||93.1||96.5|
|35 to 54 years||75.0||79.8||87.8|
|55 to 64 years||53.8||60.8||71.1|
|65 years and over||23.8||28.8||40.7|
|Level of education|
|Less than high school||31.2||43.2||50.7|
|High school or college||72.0||76.8||83.4|
|Personal income quartile3,4,5,6|
|1. Internet access from any location includes use from home, school, work, public library or other, and counts an individual only once, regardless of use from multiple locations. |
2. Percent who have used the Internet for personal, non-business reasons in the past 12 months. The target population for the Canadian Internet Use Survey (CIUS) has changed from individuals 18 years of age and older in 2005 to 16 years of age and older in 2007.
3. Canadian Internet use survey (CIUS) divides income into quartiles or four equal groups based on the respondent's personal income, each representing 25% of the income spectrum from highest to lowest.
4. In 2005, the lowest quartile is less then or equal to $13,000, the second quartile is from $13,001 to $26,999, the third quartile is from $27,000 to $45,999 and the highest quartile is from $46,000 and higher.
5. In 2007, the lowest quartile is less then or equal to $12,000, the second quartile is from $12,001 to $27,999 the third quartile is from $28,000 to $48,999 and the highest quartile is from $49,000 and higher.
6. In 2009, the lowest quartile is less then or equal to $10,000, the second quartile is from $10,001 to $29,999 the third quartile is from $30,000 to $49,999 and the highest quartile is from $50,000 and higher.
Source: Statistics Canada, CANSIM, tables 358-0123, 358-0124, 358-0125 and 358-0126.
Last modified: 2010-05-10.
Find information related to this table (CANSIM table(s); Definitions, data sources and methods; The Daily; publications; and related Summary tables).
- Date modified: