Serving Canada with high-quality statistical information that matters.
Appropriate Minister: James Moore
Institutional Head: Wayne R. Smith
Ministerial Portfolio: Industry
- Statistics Act Footnote i
- Corporations Returns Act Footnote ii
- Corporations Returns Regulations Footnote iii
Year of Incorporation / Commencement: The Dominion Bureau of Statistics was established in 1918. In 1971, with the revision of the Statistics Act, the Agency became Statistics Canada.
Other: Under the Statistics Act, Statistics Canada is required to "collect, compile, analyze, abstract and publish statistical information relating to the commercial, industrial, financial, social, economic and general activities and conditions of the people of Canada."
The Agency has two primary objectives:
- to provide statistical information and analysis of the economic and social structure and functioning of Canadian society, as a basis for the development, operation and evaluation of public policies and programs, for public and private decision-making, and for the general benefit of all Canadians;
- to promote the quality, coherence and international comparability of Canada's statistics through collaboration with other federal departments and agencies, with the provinces and territories, and in accordance with sound scientific standards and practices.
Statistics Canada's head office is located in Ottawa. There are regional offices across the country—in Halifax, Sherbrooke, Montréal, Toronto, Sturgeon Falls, Winnipeg, Edmonton and Vancouver. Canadians can follow the Agency on Twitter, and view content on the Agency's Facebook and YouTube accounts.
- Footnote i
- Footnote ii
Corporations Returns Act
- Footnote iii
Corporations Returns Regulations