Any proposal for submission must have sufficient details, so as to determine the feasibility of the project. This will include a data perspective, costs, and professional merit. Note that CDER only considers research projects that are not descriptive in nature. If you wish to obtain custom tabulations, you will need to contact the appropriate subject-matter division within Statistics Canada, or contact us at email@example.com for more information.
The project proposal is a maximum of ten pages and includes the following elements:
- Title of Project
- Justification of the research: include context, research questions and project's contribution to the literature
- Analytical framework and proposed methodology
- Detailed data requirements:
- Justification for using the microdata
- Dataset(s) required;
- Time period;
- Complete and final variable list to be included in appendix. Note that changes in the variable selection after the project approval will incur additional costs.
- Expected output
- Cross-tabulations: list of the variables involved, the number of dimensions in the tables, and the number of tables. Summary statistics: must be kept to a minimum and must support the analytical output.
- For modelling: dependent variable, independent variables, type of modelling being used (OLS, Logistic regression, etc.), number of regressions.
- Applicable weights must be applied when using survey data. If you plan on using survey data and plan to release unweighted regressions and/or summary statistics, please provide a justification (to be assessed by external reviewers).
- Software requirements – SAS or Stata. Please indicate if any additional Stata commands will be required.
- Expected start date and duration of the project.
- Source of funding for this project.
- Name and contact information of principal researcher and all other researcher expected to work at CDER as deemed employee. Please indicated clearly which researcher will require an IT account to work with the data.