End-use Licence Agreement for Postal CodeOM Conversion File, Postal CodesOM by Federal Ridings File and Postal CodeOM Conversion File Plus ("data product")
The Government of Canada (Statistics Canada) is the owner or a licensee of all intellectual property rights in this data product. With your payment of the requisite fee, you (hereinafter referred to as 'the Licensee') are granted a non-exclusive, non-assignable and non-transferable licence to use this data product subject to the terms below. This licence is not a sale of any or all of the rights of the owner(s). The data product includes information taken with permission from © Canada Post Corporation. All rights reserved. Information taken with permission from Canada Post Corporation does not form part of the Government of Canada open data portal.
- The Licensee shall not lend, rent, lease, sublicense, distribute, make public, transfer or sell any part of the data product nor any right granted under this agreement to any person outside the licensed organization or to any other organization.
- The Licensee shall not disassemble, decompile or in any way attempt to reverse engineer any part of the data product.
- The Licensee shall not use any part of the data product to develop or derive any other data product or data service for external distribution or commercial sale.
- The Licensee shall not use the data product other than for the purpose of matching Postal codeOM data to geography in accordance with Appendix 'A'.
- The Licensee shall not use the data product for the following mail preparation purposes:
- addressing mail;
- presorting addressed mail;
- preparing unaddressed mail by householder count for delivery
- The Licensee agrees not to merge or link the data product with any other databases in such a fashion that gives the appearance that the Licensee may have received, or had access to, information held by Statistics Canada about any identifiable individual, family, household, organization or business.
- The Licensee is granted rights of use of the content of this data product for the purpose expressly described in Appendix 'A', attached, and for no other purpose. In such cases, the source of the data must be acknowledged in all documents and communications by providing the following source citation at the bottom of each table and graph:
Source: (or Adapted from) Statistics Canada (Select either Postal CodeOM Conversion File or PostalCodesOM by Federal Ridings File and Postal CodeOM Conversion File Plus (August 2018) which is based on data licensed from Canada Post Corporation.
- The Licensee may publish an extract of up to 1% of the data product pursuant to Appendix 'A'. This permission includes the use of the extracted data in support of analyses and in reporting of results and conclusions. The Licensee shall obtain approval from Statistics Canada before publishing extract of the data product in excess of 1%.
- The Licensee is authorized to provide the data product to contractors/consultants only for the purpose of "providing data manipulation and consulting services exclusively to Licensee. Upon completion of work, the contractor/consultant must i) return all data products to Licensee, and ii) delete the data product from their systems and premises." Contractors or consultants may not use the data product or derived products for their own purposes or to offer services to third parties.
- The Licensee must display the following disclaimer on each search access point if the data product is used in a search engine application pursuant to Appendix 'A': "this tool does not validate Postal codesOM".
- The Licensee agrees to permit Statistics Canada to provide to Canada Post upon request, a copy of this signed agreement for audit purposes only.
This licence is effective as of the date of signature and shall automatically terminate if any of the terms and conditions are violated.
Any violation of this licence renders it void and of no effect. This agreement will terminate automatically without notice if the Licensee fails to comply with any of the terms of this agreement.
Statistics Canada or the Licensee may terminate this agreement without cause upon thirty (30) day written notice or at a time otherwise agreed upon by both parties. In the event of termination, the Licensee must immediately return the data product to Statistics Canada or destroy it and certify this destruction in writing to Statistics Canada.
Warranties and disclaimers
This data product is provided 'as-is,' and Statistics Canada and its licensors make no warranty, either express or implied, including but not limited to, warranties of merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose. In no event will Statistics Canada or its licensors be liable for any direct, special, indirect, consequential or other damages, however caused.
The Licensee shall at all times indemnify and save harmless Statistics Canada its officers, servants and agents from and against all claims, demands, losses, damages, costs, actions, or other proceedings made, sustained, brought or prosecuted by any person, in any manner, based upon, occasioned by or attributed to any injury, infringement, or damage arising out of the use of the data product, or arising out of a breach, by the Licensee, of any of its obligations under this agreement.
Acceptance of terms
It is your responsibilityto ensure that your use of this data product complies with these terms. Any infringement of Statistics Canada's rights may result in legal action.
Any use whatsoever of this data product shall constitute your acceptance of the terms of this agreement.
For further information please contact:
Statistical Registers and Geography Division
170 Tunney's Pasture Driveway Jean Talon Building, 3rd floor, Section D3
Approved Postal Code Data Matching Uses for DLI Accredited Canadian Post-Secondary Institution
Matching Postal CodeOM data to geography for:
- Teaching and learning purposes.
E.g.: Students can download PCCF on their laptop to do their assignments. This includes projects, maps, analytical papers, etc. Faculty can download and use the PCCF in teaching exercises.
- Research purposes
E.g.: Can be used in analysis to write articles that are published in journals. The data is not shared but the results are published. This also includes thesis for Masters or Doctorate where results are required to be public.
- Planning purposes – where the institution can use the information in planning student recruitment activities or find out where these students are coming from.
I acknowledge that I have read and understand the terms and conditions under which the data product(s) can be used and that the organization will abide by them.
Licence Administrator (please print)
DLI contact (please print)