Frequently asked questions on Canadian Automated Export Declaration

1. Why does my transmission keep failing?

Your transmission will fail if your declaration is in Draft mode, meaning that you did not complete and save the 7 sections of the declaration. All 7 sections of the declaration must be completed and saved, in order to successfully transmit your declaration to Statistics Canada and the Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA).

Your transmission will fail if your firewall does not allow the transmission to go through. In order to allow Canadian Automated Export Declaration (CAED) transmissions to go through your firewall, select Passive Mode, under the Transmission Options page. Further information on this can be found in the Help Menu under Transmission Configuration.

2. Why does the status on my CAED indicate Draft?

The status on the CAED will indicate Draft if you did not complete and save the 7 sections of the declaration. Ensure that all 7 sections of the form are completed and saved. If you did in fact complete and save all 7 sections of the declaration, a green check mark will appear beside each section tab at the top of the screen.

3. I cannot remember what my License and/or Authorization I.D. is in order to access the software.

If you have a copy of a previously transmitted form, your License and Authorization I.D. for the software can be found at the top right hand corner of the form.

If you do not have a copy of a previously transmitted form, please contact the CAED helpline at 1-800-257-2434 to obtain this information.

4. How can I download the CAED software?

In order to download the CAED software, please visit the CAED software page found on the CAED website. Please ensure that you have registered for the software, and you have the minimum system requirements installed on your computer prior to downloading the software.

5. What is a No Declaration Required (NDR)?

Some goods do not have to be reported on an export declaration. However, if at the time of exportation an officer suspects, on reasonable grounds, that the goods are being exported contrary to an act of Parliament, then the officer may request that the goods be reported by presenting an export declaration.

For more information on NDR's, please visit the Canada Border Services website or call 1-800-461-9999.

6. What is a transportation document number?

The transportation document number consists of the four digit carrier code followed by a unique carrier-assigned code that the carrier will use to track the shipment.

7. What is a carrier code?

A carrier code is a four-digit alphanumeric code assigned to a carrier by the Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) or by the International Air Transportation Association (IATA). Carrier codes assigned by IATA always contain a dash, e.g. 999-. The carrier code forms the first part of the Transportation Document Number. If the goods will be transported out of Canada via mail, the exporter should enter the letters "MAIL" in the carrier code field.

Note: It is the exporter's responsibility to contact the carrier to obtain the code. The CBSA cannot disclose carrier codes to a third party.

8. What is a unique carrier-assigned code?

A unique carrier-assigned code is a reference number that the carrier will use to track the shipment (e.g., booking number, manifest number or waybill number).

9. I am having trouble downloading the software.

Prior to downloading the CAED software, you must ensure that you have the minimum system requirements installed on your computer. Once this is confirmed, and you are still unable to download the software, please contact the CAED helpline at 1-800-257-2434.

10. Our company information (company name and/or address) has changed, what am I supposed to do?

If you want to change your company name or mailing address of your business, you or your representative must notify the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) at 1-800-959-5525 as soon as possible. Once you have contacted the CRA, you must contact the CAED helpline by telephone at 1-800-257-2434 or by email at

11. How do I verify my business number? Is my business number activated for exporting purposes?

You can verify your business number and whether or not it is activated for exporting purposes by calling the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) at 1-800-959-5525.

12. My shipment is going in-transit through the United States, what port of exit do I enter in the CAED software?

You must report exports that are shipped from Canada through the United States to another country. You are to select the office closest to the place where the goods are expected to leave Canada.

13. Where can I obtain further information on the Canadian Export Reporting System (CERS)?

The Canadian Automated Export Declaration (CAED) system is being replaced by the Canadian Export Reporting System (CERS). CERS will be a Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) developed web-based, self-service portal enabling exporters to continue to submit electronic export declarations (including bulk load and summary reporting) to the CBSA. The CBSA will update their Reporting commercial exports website as further information is available.

14. Further questions?

For questions regarding CERS, please email the CBSA at


International Trade Unit
Operation and Integration Division
Statistics Canada
Jean Talon Building, 2nd Floor
170 Tunney's Pasture Driveway
Ottawa, ON  K1A OT6

For export reporting information

Contact the CBSA Border Information Service (BIS)

Telephone: 1-800-461-9999 (toll-free calls within Canada)

Telephone: 204-983-3500 or 506-636-5064 (charges apply for calls outside Canada)

Date modified: