Canadian Automated Export Declaration (CAED) Program and 2018 Version Release
Ottawa, December 11, 2017
- The purpose of this Notice from the Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) is to inform exporters:
- Of revisions to designated export offices as well as other important export reporting information;
- That the 2018 version of the Canadian Automated Export Declaration (CAED) program software will be available and ready for download on December 11, 2017; and
- That the CBSA is developing a new system to replace CAED by January 2020.
- Exporters are required to report their goods in accordance with the Reporting of Exported Goods Regulations. Exporters should review their records to ensure that the appropriate "place of exit" is reported on their export declarations. Failure to provide true, accurate and complete information on an export declaration could result, in delays to the export of the goods and/or monetary penalties.
- The 2017 version of CAED will expire on January 31, 2018, after which time only the 2018 version will be valid. The 2018 version will be the last update to CAED and will be valid until it is retired in January 2020.
- CAED participants should upgrade to the 2018 version by downloading the software along with the release notes from the website.
- The following offices will no longer be recognized as designated export offices and will be eliminated from the "place of exit" field in the 2018 version of CAED:
- ON-Barrie (0459)
- ON-Oshawa (0430)
- ON-Toronto - Interport Sufferance Warehouse Ltd. (0496)
- QC-Trout River (0307)
- QC-Lacolle – Route 221 (0324)
- QC-Dundee (0330)
- QC-Ste-Aurélie (0339)
- QC-Lacolle – Route 223 (0341)
- The following office has a revised port name and will be updated in the "place of exit" field in the 2018 version of CAED:
- ON-Ottawa Cargo Services (OCS) (0485)
[Previously ON-Ottawa-MacDonald-Cartier International Airport]
- ON-Ottawa Cargo Services (OCS) (0485)
- Refer to the Designated Export Office (EXPORT) | Directory of CBSA Offices and Services | Canada Border Services Agency for the updated listing of designated export offices.
- The country Belarus has been removed from the Area Control List. However, export permit requirements for goods included on the Export Control List remain in effect.
For more export controls information, you may consult: Global Affairs Canada Website.
- When reporting export goods to the CBSA using the CAED program, or other reporting methods, ensure that the declaration is fully and accurately completed and that a detailed description of all goods, including make and model, if applicable, is provided.
- A conveyance identification number must be included on the declaration when reporting the export of a vehicle/conveyance.
- Numerous changes have been made to the Harmonized System (HS) Classification Codes for 2018. Exporters are encouraged to refer to the 2018 Canadian Export Classification Manual for more information.
- The CAED program will be replaced by a new export reporting system, the Canadian Export Reporting System (CERS), by January 2020. The CBSA and Statistics Canada have mutually agreed to retire CAED due to its aging technology. CERS is being designed by the CBSA to meet current export program requirements while providing flexibility to allow for future enhancements. The CBSA will engage industry stakeholders to seek feedback on the system design and roll-out strategy.
- CERS will be a web-based solution that will enable exporters to report their export goods. It includes the same data requirements as CAED and will be designed to accept summary reporting of eligible goods. The CBSA will be implementing the new system in mid-2019, in order to allow a six month transition period for the onboarding of all current CAED users. There will be more information on both the CBSA and Statistics Canada websites available to exporters about the transition of export reporting from CAED to the new reporting system prior to its implementation.
- For CAED information: Contact the CAED Helpdesk – Statistics Canada
Tel. 1-800-257-2434 (toll-free calls within Canada)
Tel. 613-951-6291 (charges apply for calls outside Canada)
Statistics Canada CAED Website
- For more export reporting information, you may consult:
Memorandum D20-1-1, Export Reporting; and Exporting Goods from Canada: A Handy Guide
- Alternatively, you may contact the CBSA Border Information Service (BIS).