Transcript of the chat session on Education Indicators in Canada: An International Perspective, 2016, which occurred on Friday, December 16, 2016 from 1:30 p.m. to 2:30 p.m. EST

Note: This was a bilingual chat session, which means that the participants were able to submit their questions in English or French. Statistics Canada respects the Official Languages Act and is committed to ensuring that information products of equal quality are available in both English and French. For that reason, all the questions and answers have been translated in the other official language.

Moderator at 13:00:39
Welcome everyone! This is a bilingual chat session, which means that you can submit your questions in English or French. Our experts will respond in a timely manner and in the official language in which the question was asked.

mtorrance at 13:31:22
Will you be giving a summary of the findings?

Klarka Zeman  at 13:35:28
Thank you for your question. We won't be summarizing the report at this session, but you can find a summary of the report here or here.

Rhonda.moore at 13:31:49
Does this chat include a formal presentation? (I've just logged on but can't hear anything.)

Moderator at 13:36:57
No formal presentation is available. This is a live chat session with our Education data experts. You can send our experts questions through the Question box in the chat room.

stephendthompson at 13:30:24
Hi, I work with official language minority communities. The presented data does not contain language dimensions, it this available?

Michael Martin at 13:38:46
Thank you for your question. The current report is based on the OECD's Education at a Glance set of indicators, and language dimensions are not included. For this information I would recommend consulting the 2011 National Household Survey results.

stephendthompson at 13:40:51
Thank you Michael. The NHS data is good for educational attainment, but not presented in a way to correlate education, language, employment, age, etc. We'll find another way!

CanuckDamsel at 13:35:08
Hello and thank you. Immigration has increased greatly in the last few years with some provinces attracting more than others. Have these numbers been adjusted to account for that?

Klarka Zeman at 13:40:06
Thank you for your question. Immigrants would be included in the data that are used to calculate all of the indicators in this report.

linda.kupp at 13:34:02
Hi, can you clarify the definition for the category ISCED3 - it includes grade11-13 graduates and some postsecondary (non-graduate). The other categories are fairly clear - but this one is ambiguous.

Michael Martin at 13:44:05
ISCED 3 refers to upper secondary education graduation, which in Canada includes grade 11 (in Quebec) to grade 13. This also includes those who have taken some postsecondary education and who have not completed it and whose highest level of attainment is high school completion.

rriel at 13:38:35
When will a PDF version of the report be available?

Klarka Zeman at 13:47:58
Thank you for your question. The PDF version of the report will be available at the end of January; we will email it to you when it is available.

CanuckDamsel at 13:42:48
So the provincial numbers are skewed? Also, I have two more quick questions: Do you have historic numbers on spending, per student, by province and source, that has been adjusted for inflation? I'm particularly interested in regulated vs non-regulated fees, and student vs gov't funding year-to-year. Lastly, will we have any access to the data for this report?

Klarka Zeman at 13:52:53
Hello, if you are interested in custom tabulations controlled for immigrant flows, you can contact Statistics Canada at 1-800-263-1136.
We do not have time series on a per student basis, but we do have a number of CANSIM tables regarding education finance, including expenditures at the primary/secondary, college and university levels. You can access them here.
If you are interested in Excel versions of the data tables in this report, please don't hesitate to contact us at the telephone number listed above.

CanuckDamsel at 13:55:57
Excellent. Thank you

Namrata at 13:37:36
I would like know: - the funding breakdown (govt vs private) between the countries - revenue from domestic vs foreign students - diff of tuition fee domestic and foreign students, speciaally in Canada

Michael Martin at 13:55:02
With respect to the funding breakdown between countries, I refer you to table B3.1.a in the OECD's Education at a Glance, 2016. Data on revenue from domestic vs foreign students are not available. Regarding tuition fees for domestic and foreign students, I would refer you to the release of the survey of Tuition and Living and Accommodations Costs (TLAC).

mtorrance at 13:47:49
When will a final PDF presentation with graphs and breakdowns be able? Trying to go through the long notes is very time consuming. For example, when speaking about teachers salaries, the numbers you presented for Canadian teachers must be first year numbers, but you do compare them to Germany's numbers after 15 years of teaching. Also in the past Canadian numbers were after 15 years of teaching and per province. There appears to be no detail here.

Klarka Zeman  at 13:59:08
Thank you for your question. A PDF version of the report will be available at the end of January. We can email it to you.
We do compare teachers' salaries in Canada after 15 years of experience with teachers' salaries in a selected number of countries and the OECD average in this chart.

JaniceN at 13:37:48
Is Stats Canada doing projections for any of the data sets, for example, for the financial resources section, is there any trend analysis and projections for future spending?

Klarka Zeman at 14:02:04
Thank you for your question. We do not present projections for any of the indicators in this report. For time series data for education finance, please see CANSIM.

kozlosl at 13:45:33
In reviewing some of the stats in the first section of the report, it seems that, when looking at gender, Employment success does not correlate to Education success, and since I understand this is Education at a Glance indicators, will the next step be to compare this data with Labour data to find out why this inconsistency exists - in Ontario for example?

Michael Martin at 14:04:10
Thank you for your question. Could you please clarify which chart/table you are referring to? Chart A.3.1 shows that employment rates increase with increased levels of education for both men and women; however, the degree to which this takes place is different between men and women. Looking at the labour data would shed more light on the relationship but is outside the scope of the analysis in this report.

kozlosl at 13:54:28
In the second section of this report I noted that more funding is allocated to post secondary education in Ontario than primary and secondary education which is not consistent with the G7 countries would you be able to provide rational for this direction of funds?

Klarka Zeman at 14:08:20
Thank you for your question. Are you referring to expenditure per student (section B1) or expenditure on education as a percentage of GDP (section B2)?

rriel at 13:51:40
Hi Michael, Is there any raw data or additional details, definitions or information available pertaining to the calculation of the figures reported in Chapter B, including spending per pupil and the distribution of current expenditures?

Michael Martin at 14:10:54
Thank you for your question. Because the indicators in this report are based on OECD definitions, I would refer you to the OECD's Education at a Glance website for further information. The OECD publishes a number of companion documents that elaborate on its methodologies.

Moderator at 13:58:28
Great questions! Keep them coming!

AmandaCooke at 14:08:35
In review of the data, it seems that across Canada, women are consistently graduating from all levels of post-secondary education with accreditation and yet, women remain less likely to be employed in the labour market. What are we doing with this data?

Klarka Zeman at 14:13:30
Thank you for your comment and question. Yes, as you have noted, women do tend to have lower employment rates, although the difference between the employment rate for men and women decreases with higher levels of education.

mtorrance at 14:17:00
Thank you. The reason I thought the teachers salaries were so low and incorrect was found on page Education Indicators in Canada: An International Perspective 2016 Highlights I didn't get to the page you linked me to. Yes, please send me the PDF when you have it. I would like to see the numbers as well. Are there any questions on subjects, e.g. our students (primary & secondary) math scores and comparisons with other countries and comparisons by sex?

Klarka Zeman  at 14:24:31
To view teachers' salaries, please see this table and this table.
We do not publish data on math scores in this report, but you can find these results here.

AmandaCooke at 14:15:46
Hi Klarka, it diminishes, that's true enough - but the disparity persists. This is an ongoing issue and it's Canada-wide. According to the data, more women are graduating post-secondary, more women are working while going to school, more women are experiencing intergenerational mobility etc. and yet, women are still less likely to be employed than men. Is it enough that the gap closes the more education that a woman receives? We have excellent data on this - Canada has an opportunity to be a Leader here.

Klarka Zeman  at 14:25:58
Thank you for your comment.

kozlos at 14:12:20
Yes Michael I was looking at Chart A.1.2. and A.3.1.

Michael Martin at 14:27:05
Chart A.1.2 simply illustrates the different educational attainment levels of men and women, with no reference to employment outcomes. As mentioned, Chart A.3.1 shows a clear relationship between higher levels of education and increased employment rates. However, the overall rates of employment are lower for women. The reasons for this discrepancy are beyond the scope of this report. However, some of these reasons are outlined in the OECD's Education at a Glance 2016 and can be found on page 120 of the report.

dleduc at 14:16:03
In Chapter C1, International students, you provide the origin of international students in tertiary education (Chart C.1.4). Does tertiary refer only to the bachelor's, masters and doctoral levels? Are data on the origin of international students in short-cycle tertiary education available? Have you analyzed this?

Klarka Zeman at 14:29:20
Hello, thank you for your question. The tertiary level also includes colleges. The table in our publication includes all tertiary levels combined. If you are more interested in the short-cycle tertiary level, you can contact us at 1-800-263-1136.

Moderator at 14:16:48
Time for a few more questions! Keep them coming!

kozlosl at 14:17:24
Yes Klarka I was looking at chart B.1.1.

Klarka Zeman at 14:32:16
Expenditure per student at the postsecondary level is higher than that at the primary/secondary level, and that is true in Canada, the provinces and territories, and most OECD countries.
However, the portion of GDP spending on education is larger for the primary/secondary sector than for the postsecondary sector; please see section B2.

kozlosl at 14:29:39
Section D - will Ontario stats for some of the charts be available at a later date since they were not currently available at this time?

Michael Martin at 14:33:36
There will be no further updates to this report. Data not included in the report were not available or could not be calculated. Should these data become available at a later time, they will be included in next year's edition.

Moderator at 14:34:21
The chat session is now over. Thank you for your questions and comments! If our experts did not have a chance to respond to your question, we will follow-up with you by email in the next few business days. The full transcript of this chat session will be made available on our website shortly. Have a great day!

Date modified: