Transcript of the chat session on 2016 Census: Education and labour data, which occurred on Monday, December 1, 2017 from 12:30 p.m. to 1:30 p.m. EST

Note: This was a bilingual chat session, which means that the participants were able to submit their questions in English or French. Statistics Canada respects the Official Languages Act and is committed to ensuring that information products of equal quality are available in both English and French. For that reason, all the questions and answers have been translated in the other official language.

Moderator at 12:27:23
Welcome everyone! This is a bilingual chat session, which means that you can submit your questions in English or French. Our experts will respond in a timely manner and in the official language in which the question was asked.

dbrianhk@gmail.com at 12:31:43
As a geography teacher I often want to be able to show census data for my region, SW ontario, specifically Windsor. I have great difficulty in being able to find the way to visualize data - any tips?

Sarah-Jane Ferguson at 12:37:37
Hello,
Thank you for your question.
This week, Statistics Canada released data from the 2016 Census on the education of Canadians.
One of our key data products is called Focus on Geography (FOG), which visualizes the data down to small communities.  Here is a link to the Windsor FOG.

BillY at 12:32:24
Will regional breakdowns of on- and off-reserve Indigenous education and labour force characteristics be released publicly?

Carlos Rodriguez at 12:38:48
Hi @BillY, 
Yes! We've released a few data tables with this information. They can be found Data tables, 2016 Census - Residence by Aboriginal geography (10). Hope this helps!

Brad Post at 12:33:30
I have a question in regards to Place of Work data. I am interested in data that includes employees by CSD (number of employees by place of work). Is this data available in the recent release?

Andrew Fields at 12:41:13
Hi Brad Post, the best place to start would be the Census Profile, which allows you to search by geography.
There are additional resources which allow you to visualize the data, such as the Focus on Geography and the new Census Program Data Viewer.

ccampbell100 at 12:36:29
Will tables that combine information across census (time) be released? It is extremely time-consuming to try to make any trend analysis

Moderator at 12:41:55
Hi @ccampbell100, which topic are you looking for census data on?

GuelphEcDev at 12:33:59
is there a specific data set I can refer too that highlights the number of JOBS in a given geography, rather than the number of EMPLOYED persons in that region?

Andrew Fields at 12:45:19
Hi GuelphEcDev, there are other sources of data, such as the Survey of Employment, Payrolls and Hours, which include tables that measure the number of payroll jobs by province.

megha.saini at 12:41:10
I want to know what imputation methods/techniques you use. Precisely in imputing ethnicity and race of persons who don't respond the question in survey Also if Semantic Technology - ontology modeling is feasible to model the dataset ?

Moderator at 12:47:01
Thank you for your question @megha.saini. Unfortunately, that subject is outside the experts' area of expertise for today's chat session. We will follow up with you by email in the next few business days.

jennalynnsimpson at 12:40:15
what are the imputation rates for education for on-reserve CSDs (IRI/ SE) in Ontario and where can we find information on how you perform the calculation?

Carlos Rodriguez at 12:47:33
Hi @jennalynnsimpson, 
We'll follow up with you after the chat session. Thanks for the question.

h at 12:31:47
Why do the numbers of persons with income differ between all-work and worked?

Sylvie Bourbonnais at 12:49:23
Hi h, 
The source for the number of persons with income is the Revenue Canada administration files for the year 2015.
The Work Activity variable in the census measures the number of weeks worked in 2015 and whether these weeks were mostly full-time and part-time.
There could be incompabilities between the two sources of data for many reasons. The sources of incompabilities are discussed in a note in tables containing income data and the Work Activity data. The note is the following:
Work activity during the reference year
The activity during the reference year variable uses the reference year of 2015 as does census income data. Consequently, many data tables present both variables. As was the case in the data from the 2006 Census and the 2011 NHS, there are inconsistencies between the presence of employment income and work activity for 2015 reported in the 2016 Census. For example, there could be workers reporting a certain number of weeks worked in 2015 without any earnings reported for that year. There could also be workers who did not report any work activity (no weeks worked) in 2015 but did have earnings in that year. Although it is possible to have pre-payment or retroactive pay of employment income and that certain types of work may be unpaid, it is uncertain if the extent of such arrangements is captured accurately in the long-form questionnaire. Moreover, some self-employed workers receive dividends instead of earnings and proxy reporting as well as respondents' inaccurate recall for the year 2015 could also be contributing factors to explain these inconsistencies.

It is also important to note that some employment data are from the Labour Force Status variable which had a reference period of May 1 to May 7, 2016. 
Thank you !

Emily.House at 12:38:40
I saw that the key results for education in Canada used the 2006 census as a comparison. From the guide, it mentioned that the changes to clarify the misinterpretation of "secondary school" and the emphasis on "completed" credentials may affect comparability. Is there an estimation on how much of an impact these changes would have made on comparability between the 2016 and 2006 Census? (e.g. Would they be particularly prominent for comparing populations with small populations)?

Sarah-Jane Ferguson at 12:49:44
Hello,
This week, Statistics Canada released data from the 2016 Census on the education of Canadians and made many comparisons with 2006.
The Education Reference Guide provides data users with information on data quality and comparability.  In 2016, several improvements to the questionnaire were made in order to improve data quality and to reduce respondent burden. Data users are advised to consult the guide for all information regarding the comparability of the data, including in small populations.

Rick R at 12:34:05
Good afternoon, Employment Income Statistics in Cansim Table 98-400-X2016304 only covers 193 NOC occupations rather than the complete 693 NOC occupations as was available in the past. Will another release include all NOC occupations? If so when if not why? As well, Cansim Tables 98-400-X2016289 and 98-400-X2016295 do not have data broken down by work activity. Will this be available later and if so when? Thank you

Andrew Fields at 12:52:57
Hi Rick R, we are planning to release more detail, including data at the 4-digit NOC in the near future. Please check back on our website, or contact STATCAN.infostats-infostats.STATCAN@canada.ca for more information.

dbrianhk@gmail.com at 12:48:09
Thank you Sarah-Jane - I noted that the visualization is: "A map image of the geographic area is also included in the product." - I would like to be able to show "data" geographically, not just in charts. Is this possible, for example to show the % people who have completed high school , by CSD boundary?

Sarah-Jane Ferguson at 12:54:07
Hello,
In additon to the FOG, Thematic Maps were also released this week, which should give you the geographic information you are looking for.

cappone at 12:32:01
Hi, Will occupation (NOC) and industry (NAICS) data be released for the immigrant population aged 15 and over in CMAs? Thanks.

Sylvie Bourbonnais at 12:54:47
Hi cappone,
We actually released the industry sector data for immigrants in CMAs in our data table 98-400-X2016092.
About Occupation we had released it at the provincial level. See table 98-400-X2016279.
Thank you.

ayan at 12:49:08
Will there be a release of the commuting flow from geography of residence to geography of work at a tract level? On another note, I'd like to thank Stats Canada for the level of openness and availability for the 2016 Census. Many early morning and rewarding insights here on the west coast.

Moderator at 12:56:16
Hi @ayan, this would be a great question to ask our experts at next Monday's chat session when we'll be discussing journey to work, language of work, mobility and migration.

roycefu at 12:47:38
Anything that provides jobs/employees at a geography smaller than provincial?

Andrew Fields at 13:00:31
Hi roycefu, there is a new product, the Job Vacancies and Wage Survey, which is developing better ways to present number of jobs by smaller geographic region. You can find the number of employees down to detailed sub-provincial geography from the Census and Labour Force Survey (though the concept of "total jobs" is a slightly different concept).

jennalynnsimpson at 12:49:49
Will Stats Can release through custom tables all of the education attainment for questions 25-29 - i.e. not only highest level attained but all checked boxes? For example, total apprenticeships

Carlos Rodriguez at 13:02:13
Hi @jennalynnsimpson, 
The concept used in the 2016 Census is that of Highest Certificate, Diploma or Degree. Any custom tables will make use of this concept as well.

sellycan at 12:38:54
From the Daily article for labour, the stats are mixed for 2015 and 2016 figures. Can you explain what is different between?

Sylvie Bourbonnais at 13:05:14
Hi sellycan, 
Data for 2015 refer to the number of weeks worked and whether these weeks were mostly part-time or full-time for the entire year of 2015.
Data for 2016 refer to the employment status as of the week of May 1 to May 7, 2016.
These datasets should not be used in conjunction, since they pertain to two different reference periods.
Thank you.

vcicman at 12:36:50
Can we compare NOC codes from 2016 to 2011? And depending on the variable should we be comparing 2016 labour statistics to 2006 or 2011. I worry about 2011 being different than 2016?

Andrew Fields at 13:05:16
Hi vcicman, NOC 2016 and 2011 are comparable. When comparing with 2006, there are slight differences in the scope of the employed population (for example, 2016 excludes those who are not in occupied dwellings in private households, such as people in institutions).

Moderator at 12:59:48
Our experts are working hard to answer your questions. Thank you for your patience!

PatCharbonneau at 13:03:40
Bonjour Thanks for this event, good idea Do you have information about people working from outside canda, by province, by type age/sex and specification as industry, salary, on length of time outside canda thanks Patrick

Moderator at 13:10:08
Hi @PatCharbonneau, this would be a great question to ask our experts at next Monday's chat session when we'll be discussing journey to work, language of work, mobility and migration.

Emily.House at 12:39:47
Labour Question: Just to confirm, according to the definition of 'employed persons' if a person works seasonally (e.g. in the winter or the summer), would they have been classified as unemployed?

Sylvie Bourbonnais at 13:11:00
Hi Emily House, 
If a person works seasonally, they would be classified as employed, unemployed or not in the labour force, depending on their status as of the week of May 1 to May 7, 2016.
If the person worked, they were classified as employed.
If the person did not work and was looking for work and was available for work, then they were classified as unemployed.
If during the aforementioned week they were not working and not looking for work, they were classified as not in the labour force.

Thank you!

GuelphEcDev at 12:47:40
Thanks Andrew. Is there a data set that specifically identifies the number of jobs at the CMA or CD/CSD level?

Andrew Fields at 13:12:15
Hi GuelphEcDev, if you're looking for the concept of "total jobs" as opposed to the "total number of people employed", there is not currently a table published with those data at the CMA or CD/CSD level. However, you can find the "total number of people employed" from the Census and Labour Force Survey, and the "total jobs" provincially from the Survey of Employment, Payrolls and Hours.

Brad Post at 12:51:38
I am interested in the number of jobs by the smallest level of geography (CSD or smaller). Where can I find it. I can only find data on number of "residents" of a CSD employed.

Andrew Fields at 13:14:45
Hi Brad Post, your questions share a lot of similarities with those by another chat member! I will repost the answer:
If you're looking for the concept of "total jobs" as opposed to the "total number of people employed", there is not currently a table published with those data at the CMA or CD/CSD level. However, you can find the "total number of people employed" from the Census and Labour Force Survey, and the "total jobs" provincially from the Survey of Employment, Payrolls and Hours.

C. Lessard at 12:55:14
Hello, In the Education Reference Guide, p. 10, it says: "A change was made to Question 26, to include examples of different university qualifications (e.g., B.A., B.Sc., B.Ed. and LL.B. for "bachelor's degree", M.A., M.Sc. and M.Ed. for "master's degree"). (...) Specifically, adding examples has improved the accuracy of the responses, which translated into reducing reporting in the categories "University certificate or diploma below bachelor's degree" and "University certificate or diploma above bachelor's degree" and increasing it in the "bachelor's degree" and "master's degree" categories. Data users can expect to see an effect the comparability of two levels of education "university certificate or diploma below bachelor's degree" and "university certificate or diploma above bachelor's degree" compared with previous cycles of the Census Program." I am referring to the last sentence: does this mean that the comparability of the bachelor's and master's degrees would hardly or insignificantly be affected? For all of Quebec, for example?

Carlos Rodriguez at 13:15:41
Hello @C.Lessard,
The two categories most affected by these changes are "University certificate or diploma below bachelor level (highest level)" and "University certificate or diploma above bachelor level (highest level)" in the classification of highest certificate, diploma or degree. In our data products and analytical products, we compared the other levels of education you mentioned.

bethany.white at 12:33:32
I'm doing some research on the gender wage gap and was wondering if I've accessed all the available tables that cross-tabulate sex by educational attainment and occupation (NOC and/or skill level) with average hourly wage or median employment income at the census division or CMA level (most recently available data). Could you provide a list of relevant tables available on the site?

Sylvie Bourbonnais at 13:15:50
There are many data tables available under the Census web module.

tkWally at 12:34:38
Employment income data tables in 2006 census included NOC, education, age, sex, activity variables. Is there employment income data table available in 2016 census that addresses these variables in a single table, or will it be lacking like in 2011 census data. If so, is there another source or survey that includes this data.

Moderator at 13:16:14
Thank you for your question. As this requires a more detailed explanation, we will follow up with you by email in the next few business days.

Colin at 12:50:25
In the headline labour results of the Census, special attention was paid to those working full-year full-time versus those working part-year or part-time. In the latter category, was there a specific breakdown of part-year versus part-time in the final tabulations (can we easily disaggregate the results)?

Moderator at 13:16:59
Thank you for your question. As this requires a more detailed explanation, we will follow up with you by email in the next few business days.

ccampbell100 at 12:59:07
All topics, we use the full scope of census data for various things

Moderator at 13:19:56
We have a new tool called the Census Program Data Viewer available under the Data Products section of the Census Program web module. Data are available for releases 1 through 5. Data for release 6 will be added in the coming weeks.

Colin at 12:58:10
Another question: In the census annual earnings results presented as male, female, and by occupation, do we have any breakdown of earnings gaps per hour worked? If not, will this information be available later?

Andrew Fields at 13:20:39
Hi Colin, usually the breakdown of earnings by hours worked of women compared with men is done using hourly earnings from the Labour Force Survey. Here is an example of a recent publication on this subject: Women and Paid Work.

Brad Post at 12:36:48
What is the smallest level of geography (i.e. census block, census tract, CSD, etc.) available for place of work data?

Moderator at 13:21:40
Hi @Brad Post, this would be a great question to ask our experts at next Monday's chat session when we'll be discussing journey to work, language of work, mobility and migration.

C. Lessard at 13:05:32
I have another question: will a link between the ISCED 2017 and the CIP 2016 used for the Census be established? Thank you.

Carlos Rodriguez at 13:21:52
Hi C. Lessard, 
Thank you for your question. A concordance will be available in 2018 between the CIP 2016 and ISCED 2013 (Fields of Study and Training ISCED 2013).

sonnyscarfone at 12:50:03
Hello, thank you for this chat. Quick question. There were two very interesting data products built with the 2011 NHS mixing labour outcome for immigrants and level of education. I wonder if there were plans to build them at some point? Catalogue numbers were 99-012-X2011038 and 99-012-X2011042. Thank you

Sylvie Bourbonnais at 13:23:11
Hi sonnyscarfone, 
The table for 2016 is the following table: 98-400-X2016204.
Thank you!

Emily.House at 13:05:28
Thank you for all of your work Stats Canada! I have read the Education Reference Guide and just want to check my understanding and make sure that the following are valid interpretations of the limitations: Among historical cycles of the Census, educational attainment may have been overestimated by a lack of emphasis on reporting only "completed" credentials. Among historical cycles of the Census, there may have been an underestimation of high school/secondary school completion and an overestimation of no certificate or diploma as the wording of "secondary (high) school" may have been misinterpreted to refer to post-secondary school. Would these be accurate interpretations?

Sarah-Jane Ferguson at 13:25:05
Hello Emily.House,
We really appreciate that you have consulted the reference material found in the Education Reference Guide!

The 2016 questionnaire included several improvements to clarify to respondents to report only their completed credentials.  These improvements have led to better data quality but may have had some impact on comparability, including the "high school diploma or equivalency certificate" category.
The small wording changes to the high school question are not likely to have impacted the quality of this category. 

esseran at 12:54:36
Hi, I ran analysis on NOCs data cross referenced with 4-digit NAICS from the NHS (provincial level). I am having trouble finding the comparable data in the recent release. Is this something that will require a special tabulation? Also, I am interested in the response to vcicman's question about comparison to 2011 NHS data v. comparison to 2006 census data. Thank you.

Sylvie Bourbonnais at 13:25:17
Hi esseran,
No such tables are available today.
Statistics Canada is planning to disseminate more tables during the winter of 2018.
Thank you.

cappone at 13:09:42
Thanks Sylvie! The NAICS data you referenced looks at anyone employed since 2015 - will there be anything that looks at the labour force status of immigrants at the CMA level, by NAICS, at the time of the Census?

Sylvie Bourbonnais at 13:26:19
Hi cappone, 
Statistics Canada is planning to disseminate more tables during the winter of 2018.
Thank you!

rdarvin at 12:38:00
In the past you have issued reports on chronic low income patterns across ethnicities. Is there a way to examine income patterns among immigrants of different ethnicities from the latest census data? How about intergenerational educational attainment across ethnicities?

Moderator at 13:27:21
Thank you for your question. Unfortunately, this question is not relevant to the topic of this chat. We will consult the appropriate division and will follow up with you by email in the next few business days.

megha.saini at 12:51:05
ok thanks i will wait for your email

Moderator at 13:27:44
We will get back to you shortly!

vcicman at 13:12:25
Can we compare 2016 labour data to 2011 NHS? Should we use 2006 Census instead?

Andrew Fields at 13:28:09
Hi vcicman, the 2011 National Household Survey (NHS) employed a different methodology than was used for the 2016 Census, the 2006 Census and prior censuses. These differences can affect comparability between the 2016 Census estimates and the 2011 NHS estimates. For more information on the comparability between the 2016 Census and the 2011 NHS, please refer to the Guide to the Census of Population, 2016.

PatCharbonneau at 13:29:59
thanks

h at 12:52:04
Why do the numbers of persons with income differ between all-work and worked? GREAT answer! Thanks!

Moderator at 13:30:57
Hi @h. Thanks for participating!

Rick R at 13:24:16
I am also interested in the question posed by tkWally at 12:34:38. Since you did not respond with an answer and said you would get back to him/her by email, please also provide me with the answer to this question by email. Thanks

Moderator at 13:31:58
We'll get back to you shortly in the next few business days.

jennalynnsimpson at 13:28:38
Thank you to the Stats Can experts for answering all our questions! Much appreciated!

Moderator at 13:32:20
Thank you for participating!

Brad Post at 13:22:13
Just to further a question I asked.. I am interested in knowing the number of employees by a CSD. For example, I would like to know the number of employees in the manufacturing sector in Toronto. In the past this data was available. Right now I can only find data that includes the labour force of a resident in Toronto for example.

Andrew Fields at 13:33:13
Hi Brad Post, StatCan is planning on releasing more data tables in winter 2018. The data right now are available for class of worker by industry at the CMA and CA level, but not CSD.

Moderator at 13:29:00
The chat session is now over. Thank you for your questions and comments! If our experts did not have a chance to respond to your question, we will follow-up with you by email in the next few business days. The full transcript of this chat session will be made available on our website shortly. Have comments or feedback about our Chat with an Expert events? Email us at statcan.chatwithanexpert-clavarderavecunexpert.statcan@canada.ca. Have a great day!

Date modified: