Victims of homicide, by sex of victim and relationship of the accused to the victim, Canada, 2000 to 2010
|Relationship of accused to victim||Female victims||Male victims||Total|
|number||percent of total solved homicides||number||percent of total solved homicides||number||percent of total solved homicides|
|Current legal spouseNote 2||244||15||38||1||282||6|
|Current common-lawNote 3||214||14||116||3||330||7|
|Extended familyNote 8||72||5||167||5||239||5|
|Total family homicide excluding dating homicide||1,001||63||707||21||1,708||35|
|Total family homicide including dating homicide||1,149||73||774||23||1,923||39|
|Criminal relationshipNote 10||73||5||453||14||526||11|
|Authority figureNote 11||11||1||9||0||20||0|
|Relationship unknown||7||Note …: not applicable||34||Note …: not applicable||41||Note …: not applicable|
|Unsolved homicides||246||Note …: not applicable||1,284||Note …: not applicable||1,530||Note …: not applicable|
|Total solved homicides||1,588||100||3,367||100||4,955||100|
|Total homicides||1,834||Note …: not applicable||4,651||Note …: not applicable||6,485||Note …: not applicable|
... not applicable
1. Spouses include victims aged 15 years and older.
2. Current legal spouse includes legally married partners.
3. Current common-law includes persons in a current common-law relationship.
4. Separated includes those separated from a legal or common-law relationship.
5. Parent includes biological, adoptive, step and foster parents.
6. Child includes biological, adoptive, step and foster children.
7. Sibling includes biological, adoptive, step and foster siblings.
8. Extended family includes all other family members related by blood, marriage (including common-law) or adoption. Examples include uncles, aunts, cousins and grandparents.
9. Dating includes current boyfriends/girlfriends, previous boyfriends/girlfriends and other intimate partners.
10. Criminal relationship includes those relationships with the victim based on illegal activities, such as drugs or prostitution.
11. Authority figure includes persons in a position of trust or authority.
Note: Percentage calculations are based on solved homicides and where the relationship between the victim and the accused was known. Excludes homicides where the sex and/or age of the victim was unknown. Percentages may not total 100% due to rounding.
Source: Statistics Canada, Canadian Centre for Justice Statistics, Homicide Survey.
- Date modified: