Gain valuable work experience in your field of study at Statistics Canada. Check out these three popular programs. One of them might be perfect for you:

Co-op / Internship


Interested in short-term employment in a federal organization? Gain relevant and practical work experience over a four-month co-op or internship. Here’s what you need to do:

  • Consult the notice boards at your campus career centre or co-op/internship placement office. If any of the posted opportunities seem like a good fit with your study/career ambitions, then register in a co-op/internship program with your academic institution.
  • You won’t find a listing of co-op/internship opportunities on the Public Service Commission’s website. Federal organizations that wish to hire students for co-op/internship placements will contact the educational institutions directly to place their request.

For more information, visit the Co-op/Internship program.

Federal Student Work Experience Program (FSWEP)

FSWEP is managed by the Public Service Commission (PSC) of Canada and is a great way to gain work experience in your field of study. If you are a full-time student in a secondary school, CEGEP, college, technical institute or university and are interested in working at Statistics Canada, here’s how to apply:

  • Complete the FSWEP online application form.
  • Your submitted form is then sent to a database.
  • When Statistics Canada wants to hire a student from FSWEP, the PSC searches the database for students who match the job requirements of the hiring manager.
  • The system identifies all the students that meet the search criteria and randomly selects at least five candidates to refer for each position.
  • The manager who is looking for a student will then assess the referred candidates and decide on the successful candidate.

There is no cut-off date for FSWEP applications. Full-time students may complete and submit an application at any time throughout the year.

For more information, visit the Federal Student Work Experience Program.

Research Affiliate Program (RAP)

  • If you are a post-secondary student and would like to gain experience in research, this could be the program for you. The research project must be related to your current degree or program of study and must help you to develop specific knowledge and research skills.

For more information, visit the Research Affiliate Program.

Date modified: