Since its beginning as the Dominion Bureau of Statistics in 1918, Statistics Canada has been involved with international organizations to improve statistical capacity, both domestically and globally.
Statistics Canada's International Mandate
Statistics Canada takes a focused, collaborative and progressive approach to engagement in international initiatives and activities to fulfill its obligations as a globally recognized leader in the domain of statistics through
- active participation in the development of internationally comparable statistical methods, standards and techniques
- support for strong governance and accountability
- assistance in building statistical capacity internationally through targeted and sustainable technical assistance
To fulfill this mandate, Statistics Canada works hard to ensure that these activities are carried out to the highest standard, with a view to supporting Statistics Canada's corporate mandate and strengthening its reputation.
Statistics Canada works closely with Global Affairs Canada, the United Nations, the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD) and other international and multilateral organizations. Statistics Canada also conducts bilateral and regional activities with individual countries and regions around the world.
Increasing the statistical capacities of developing countries and collaborating with other statistical agencies enables Statistics Canada to remain a world leader in statistical information, standards and practices.
International Engagement Strategy 2018-2021
International programs and activities
- Agenda 2030
- Multilateral relations
- Technical assistance
- Consulting Services in Statistical and Survey Methods
- Study and knowledge-sharing visits at Statistics Canada
- Project for the Regional Advancement of Statistics in the Caribbean (PRASC)
- Project in support to PARIS 21
- Senegal Project