Statistics Canada invites data producers and data users, representatives of business associations, government bodies at the federal, provincial and local levels, academics and researchers and all other interested parties to submit proposals for the revision to the North American Industry Classification System (NAICS) Canada. The revised version of NAICS will be called NAICS Canada 2022 Version 1.0.
Statistics Canada is consulting on the revisions to NAICS Canada to ensure that the input of data users and stakeholders is taken into consideration in the revision process, and to continue to meet the needs of NAICS Canada users.
How to get involved
Individuals or organizations wishing to take part in the consultation or need more information should start preparing now for the official public consultation (see key dates below) and consult the consultation page in the Definitions, data sources and methods module of our website.
Here are key dates for the NAICS 2022 revision process:
- Pre-public consultation discussions between Statistics Canada and key stakeholders: March 2019 to October 2019.
- Official public consultation period will be opened: from November 2019 to the end of June 2020.
- Public notice containing proposals in consideration for changes in NAICS: September 2020.
- Public notice containing the final approved proposal for changes in NAICS: February 2021.
- Public release of NAICS Canada 2022 Version 1.0: January 2022.
Statistics Canada is committed to respecting the privacy of consultation participants. All personal information created, held or collected by the Agency is protected by the Privacy Act. For more information on Statistics Canada's privacy policies, please consult the Privacy notice.
Statistics Canada will take into account the proposals received and analyze them, making sure they are aligned with NAICS concepts and principles, in collaboration with the Economic Classification Policy Committee (ECPC) of the United States and Mexico's Instituto Nacional de Estadistica y Geografia (INEGI). Statistics Canada will publish the revised North American Industry Classification System Canada in January 2022.