This statistical program records transactions between Canadian residents and non-residents, allocated between the current account and the capital and financial account. The transactions recorded in the balance of payments statement represent the exchanges and transfers of economic values between Canadian residents and non-residents viewed from a Canadian perspective. Your information may also be used by Statistics Canada for other statistical and research purposes.
- For the monthly surveys, the collection period for the reference month starts on the last business day of the reference month and continues for 40 days past the reference month (i.e., the questionnaires for the reference month of January is mailed out on January 31, 2018 and collection ends on March 12, 2018).
- For the quarterly surveys, pre-contact starts on February 9, 2018, and runs until March 9, 2018. The mail out starts on March 29, 2018, and collection for each quarter continues for two quarters past the reference quarter (i.e., the questionnaires for the first quarter of 2018 are mailed out on March 29, 2018, and collection ends on September 28, 2018. This is in line with the policy revision of the System of National Accounts.
- For the annual surveys, pre-contact starts on February 9, and runs until March 9, 2018. The questionnaires are mailed out on April 9, 2018, and collection continues throughout the year up to March 9, 2019.
- For the electronic questionnaires, an invitation is sent to respondents offering them to complete and return the survey by using electronic or online collection on March 29, 2018.
Block Information Confidentiality
Statistics Canada is prohibited by law from releasing any information it collects which could identify any person, business, or organization, unless consent has been given by the respondent or as permitted by the Statistics Act. Statistics Canada will use the information from this survey for statistical purposes.
Block Information on Data sharing agreements and record linkage
Data sharing agreements and record linkage
Data sharing agreements
Yes, but ONLY for the BP11 (Gold and silver transactions, assets and liabilities (monthly)) To reduce respondent burden, Statistics Canada has entered into a data sharing agreement under Section 12 of the Statistics Act to share information from this survey with the Bank of Canada. The Bank of Canada has undertaken to keep this information confidential and to use it only for statistical purposes. Under Section 12, you may refuse to share your information with the Bank of Canada by writing a letter of objection to the Chief Statistician and returning it with the completed questionnaire.
To enhance the data from this survey, Statistics Canada may combine it with information from other surveys or from administrative sources.
Block Information on Topics covered in the survey
Topics covered in the survey
The survey asks questions about:
- investments and financial transactions between Canada and other countries
- Canada’s international transactions in services
Block Information on Published data
Statistics Canada publishes the results of its surveys in many formats. To find all the documents related to this survey, follow the links below and type the name of the survey in the search engine located at the left of your screen to filter the results.
Data: You will find tables, profiles of a community or region, thematic maps, public use microdata files, and data visualization tools.
Analysis: You will have direct access to Stats in brief (e.g., releases from The Daily, fact sheets), articles and reports, and journals and periodicals.
- Questionnaires, definitions, data sources and methods: survey number 1534