The Industrial Product Price Index (IPPI) measures price changes for major commodities sold by manufacturers in Canada. The prices collected are for goods sold at the factory gate. As a result, the prices covered by the IPPI refer not to what a purchaser pays but to what the producer receives. They exclude all indirect taxes, such as sales taxes and tariffs as this money does not go to the factors of production (i.e. labour, capital, or profit). They also exclude any transportation service performed by a common carrier beyond the factory gate and any distribution services performed by the retail or wholesale trade industries.
The Raw Materials Price Index (RMPI) measures price changes for raw materials purchased by industries in Canada for further processing. As a purchasers' price index, prices include all charges purchasers incur to bring a commodity to the establishment gate. They include transportation charges, net taxes paid, custom duties, as well as subsidies, if applicable.
Your information may also be used by Statistics Canada for other statistical and research purposes.
- Reference month — December: from December 18, 2018, to January 18, 2019
- Reference month — January: from January 18 to February 8, 2019
- Reference month — February: from February 19 to March 8, 2019
- Reference month — March: from March 19 to April 9, 2019
- Reference month — April: from April 18 to May 8, 2019
- Reference month — May: from May 17 to June 7, 2019
- Reference month — June: from June 18 to July 9, 2019
- Reference month — July: from July 18 to August 8, 2019
- Reference month — August: from August 19 to September 9, 2019
- Reference month — September: from September 18 to October 8, 2019
- Reference month — October: from October 18 to November 8, 2019
- Reference month — November: from November 20 to December 10, 2019
- Reference month — December: from December 19, 2019, to January 9, 2020
- Reference month — January: from January 20 to February 10, 2020
- Reference month — February: from February 19 to March 10, 2020
- Reference month — March: from March 19 to April 8, 2020
Block Information Confidentiality
Data are collected under the authority of the Statistics Act, Revised Statutes of Canada, 1985, Chapter S-19.
By law, Statistics Canada is prohibited from releasing any information it collects that could identify any person, business, or organization, unless consent has been given by the respondent, or as permitted by the Statistics Act. Statistics Canada will use the information from this survey for statistical purposes only.
Block Information on Record linkage
To enhance the data from this survey and to reduce the response burden, Statistics Canada may combine the information you provide with data from other surveys or administrative sources.
Block Information on Topics covered in the survey
Topics covered in the survey
This survey collects information from manufacturers in Canada, including the prices of products sold by manufacturers, the prices of raw materials purchased by industries in Canada for further processing, product specifications and information relating to reasons for price changes.
Block Information on Published data
Statistics Canada publishes the results of its surveys in many formats. To find all the documents related to this survey, follow the links below and type the name of the survey in the search engine located at the left of your screen to filter the results.
Data: You will find tables, profiles of a community or region, thematic maps, public use microdata files, and data visualization tools.
Analysis: You will have direct access to Stats in brief (e.g., releases from The Daily, fact sheets), articles and reports, and journals and periodicals.
- Questionnaires, definitions, data sources and methods: survey number 2306