Police-reported clearance rates for selected offences, Canada, 2010
|Offence||Total incidents||Cleared by chargeNote 1||Cleared otherwiseNote 2||Total clearedNote 3|
|Total Criminal Code (excluding traffic)||2,095,921||25.4||17.0||42.4|
|Other violations causing deathNote 4||91||82.4||9.9||92.3|
|Sexual assault - level 3 - aggravated||188||72.9||9.6||82.4|
|Sexual assault - level 2 - weapon or bodily harm||388||63.1||5.9||69.1|
|Sexual assault - level 1||21,604||43.2||20.9||64.1|
|Sexual violations against children||3,648||40.3||21.8||62.1|
|Assault - level 3 - aggravated||3,410||76.3||4.2||80.5|
|Assault - level 2 - weapon or bodily harm||51,340||59.5||16.4||75.9|
|Assault - level 1||173,843||48.4||31.2||79.5|
|Assault police officer||17,377||78.5||16.5||94.9|
|Firearms - use of, discharge, pointing||1,952||45.6||13.5||59.1|
|Forcible confinement or kidnapping||4,308||80.9||6.2||87.1|
|Threatening or harassing phone calls||21,436||5.7||36.6||42.3|
|Other violent Criminal Code violations||3,793||40.9||28.4||69.3|
|Breaking and entering||196,881||10.5||6.2||16.7|
|Possess stolen property||29,823||67.6||19.4||87.0|
|Theft of motor vehicle||92,683||7.4||6.1||13.5|
|Theft over $5,000 (non-motor vehicle)||15,790||9.3||5.1||14.5|
|Theft under $5,000 (non-motor vehicle)||536,151||11.4||10.0||21.3|
|Identity theft or fraud||6,937||19.1||6.3||25.5|
|Other Criminal Code offences||346,714||51.8||24.6||76.4|
|Child pornographyNote 5||..||..||..||..|
|Disturb the peace||117,903||4.6||47.9||52.5|
|Administration of justice violations||176,560||85.7||9.9||95.6|
.. not available for a specific reference period
1. For an incident to be cleared by charge, at least one chargeable suspect has been identified and there is a charge laid against or recommended to be laid against this individual in connection with this incident.
2. For an incident to be cleared otherwise, an accused must be identified and there must be sufficient evidence to lay a charge in connection with the incident, but instead the suspect is processed by other means.
3. Totals are based on unrounded numbers.
4. Includes offences such as criminal negligence causing death.
5. Due to incorrect reporting by a police service of incidents of child pornography from 2008 to 2011, the data originally contained in this report have been suppressed and revised data were made available on July 25, 2013 with the release of 2012 crime statistics.
Source: Statistics Canada, Canadian Centre for Justice Statistics, Uniform Crime Reporting Survey.
- Date modified: