Pregnancy outcomes by age group (Total pregnancies)
|number of events||rate per 1,000 women|
|15 to 19||30,534||29.2|
|15 to 17||9,899||15.8|
|18 to 19||20,635||49.0|
|20 to 24||87,099||79.4|
|25 to 29||129,106||118.9|
|30 to 34||124,135||112.5|
|35 to 39||61,040||51.9|
|40 and older6||15,026||11.0|
|1. Pregnancies equal the sum of live births, fetal loss and induced abortions. |
2. Rates for the "All Ages" group are based on the population of females aged 15 to 49 years. The numerator used in the rate calculation is the total number live births, occurring to females, regardless of their age.
3. Totals for "All ages" include number of events with unspecified age groups.
4. Rates for "Under 20" are based on the female population aged 14 to 19 years.
5. Rates for "Under 15" are based on the female population aged 14 years.
6. Rates for "40 and older" are based on the female population aged 40 to 44 years.
Source: Statistics Canada, Canadian Vital Statistics, Birth Database and Stillbirth Database; Canadian Institute for Health Information, Hospital Morbidity Database and Therapeutic Abortion Database. The Statistics Canada publication Reproductive Health: Pregnancies and Rates, Canada, 1974-1993, Catalogue no. 82-568-XPB and CANSIM, table 106-9002 was a major source of data for the years prior to 1994.
Last modified: 2008-10-20.
For more information, consult Health in Canada.
Find information related to this table (CANSIM table(s); Definitions, data sources and methods; The Daily; publications; and related Summary tables).
- Date modified: