- 5,068,587 — The total number of students enrolled in public elementary and secondary school programs in Canada in 2015/2016, continuing a slight upward trend seen since 2011/2012
- 97% of 15-year-olds were attending school in 2015/2016.
- 428,625 — The number of elementary-secondary students enrolled in French immersion programs in 2015/2016.
- 721,100 — The total number of teachers, professors and counsellors in Canada as of 2017.
- 743 — The average number of hours taught by upper secondary (generally grades 10 to 12) school teachers in Canada in 2014/2015, compared with the average of 662 hours for OECD countries.
- $1,688 — The average expenditure on education by all households in Canada in 2016.
Source: Back to school... by the numbers
- $6,838 — Average tuition for undergraduate programs for Canadian full-time students 2018/2019
- Canada is 1st — in 2017 ranking of OECD countries by proportion of the population aged 25-64 who have attained postsecondary education
Source: OECD, Education at a Glance
Access data on people, dwellings, families, income and immigration with this dynamic tool. Compare national, provincial, territorial, census metropolitan areas and agglomerations and federal ridings.
Get fun facts about special occasions and events such as Back to school, Mother's Day, Father's Day, Valentine’s Day, etc.
Want to work at Statistics Canada? Explore our exciting career opportunities and learn why StatCan is such a great place to work!
Use these interactive visualization tools to view and analyze information. Interpret trends behind data on various social and economic topics.
View data, analysis and references about education, training and learning. Find information by subject or keyword.
See and learn key facts about many subjects with these fun infographics.
Check out the most recent numbers of students, teachers, and student performance in reading, math and science as measured by the 2015 Programme for International Student Assessment (PISA).
Get the most from statistics with this long-standing online resource, created in 2001 to assist students and teachers. Primarily designed for secondary students of Mathematics, it is also used by students in other fields. This section was last updated in 2011.
Find official data for the United Nations’ 17 Sustainable Development Goals, 169 targets and 244 indicators.
Watch our videos about Statistics Canada's role, activities, survey results and more.
Resources for teachers
These educational resources provide instructors with innovative materials, lesson plans and case study assignments produced by Statistics Canada. Resources have been developed for educators at the elementary, high school and post-secondary levels.